Looking at HearthStone II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cheryl1

Jan 22, 2022
Fort Collins, CO
Hello People!
I'm looking at a HearthStone II (1981) on Craigslist. https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/for/d/livermore-soap-stone-wood-coal-stove/7434164082.html
I was delighted to find this thread, and I'm hoping you can answer some questions:
1) They want $900--is that a decent price?
2) Is it too old to burn clean?
3) It's for an outbuilding that someone is currently living in. Someone gave us their grandmother's stove. It's pretty dirty. I want a better stove, but I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. I also want to be responsible. It the HearthStone II too big for a space that is maybe 12 X20 and drafty?
4) Any other pieces of advice you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading!
Cheryl

It's a 40+ yr old stove with a very rudimentary secondary burn system. It will heat, and will look nice. Inspect very carefully for exterior cracks and interior warpage of the baffle and disintegration of the secondary tube.

begreen hit it on the head check it out, i would say 5 to 600 dollars and not 900. it won't keep a overnight burn it will only run 4 to 6 hours on wood but you should get another 1 to 2 hours heat from the stones that it is built with. good stove just not a big firebox. in a small place like that it will work fine. i got 5 hours burn time from oak but i do have a crack in the glass on the door. but with speaking with jim casavant from hearthstone it will not burn over night. if you can feed it every four hours or so you'll be fine. mine burns fairly clean but not as good as a new one. i have to brush out some flour like creosote which is ok about a cup with so for the whole season, not all that bad.