Looking for 2nd saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemaul

Jul 22, 2008
southern me.
I have a sthl ms 250 es and love it, but i would like something bigger to go with this.
What would be the logical next size and not overkill. Anything i cut here is usually no bigger than 20- 24 inches across and that is on the bigger end of the spectrum. I like the stihl saws and the dealer. I would consider used. 18-20 inch bar max.

You have a 45cc saw. To accompany that saw, I'd go ~60cc's or larger, which will allow you to bury a 20" bar running full comp 3/8 pitch chain in hardwoods.

In the current Stihl lineup, that would be something like the 391, 362, 440, 441.

If used, you can add the 390 and 361 to the list above.

+1 on the 60cc range

Anything from the 390 on up will be excellent.

Maul, I bought a 250 to start out as well, but when I realized I'd be doing this for a while set out for a larger/better saw. I ended up with a 361, which I think is a nice combo--I scrounge all my wood (so far), so most of the time I'm bucking with the 361. In small stuff, or when limbing I'll use the 250. I don't cut anything big enough (often enough, at least) to require more than an 18" bar, so I keep an 18 on the 361 and a 16 on the 250. Nice set.

S

I'd be looking 044/046, 440/460, 441 in the stihl lineup.....or a 390 may be good enough. Your also in Jonsered country, so keep an eye out for a 2165/2171.

HittinSteel said:
I'd be looking 044/046, 440/460, 441 in the stihl lineup.....or a 390 may be good enough. Your also in Jonsered country, so keep an eye out for a 2165/2171.

+1

Found a Stihl 039 Farm Boss on CL. Looks in nice condition in the add. 18in. bar and new chain. 64 cc 4.3hp
asking $250.00
Anything i should look for on this model?
Any questions you would ask?
Of course it is an hour and a half away.

I'd take a T-27 wrench and remove the muffler to look at the piston....... or take a compression tester with schraeder valve.

Original owner?
Private/commercial use?
Type of oil used and at what ratio?

The best test though is to see if you can run it in some wood.

The 039 is a good saw. It runs strong after a very simple muffler mod. $200 would be a good price if it checks out.

HittinSteel said:
I'd take a T-27 wrench and remove the muffler to look at the piston....... or take a compression tester with schraeder valve.

Original owner?
Private/commercial use?
Type of oil used and at what ratio?

The best test though is to see if you can run it in some wood.

The 039 is a good saw. It runs strong after a very simple muffler mod. $200 would be a good price if it checks out.

039 could be pretty hard to pop the muff... ;-P

Trying to remember, does it have the long square head bolt that attaches on the side of the cylinder?

HittinSteel said:
Trying to remember, does it have the long square head bolt that attaches on the side of the cylinder?

Should be the t27, but being an older saw......Oh Snap!

I am a sucker for the old 041AV's....I have a pile of them.....but my faves are my 041AV Super's.....have a couple of them......72cc packed in a medium sized saw, will run a 30in bar with 3/8 full chisel ALL DAY LONG....sure, it doesn't have the RPMs of the newer saws, and you better be careful cause there's no brake, but it is over 3o years old and still runs like a top (did do a re-ring last summer).......won't get that kind of use out of a modern plastic saw......unless you never use it....

Status
Not open for further replies.