Which saw should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
MS660 decent? Any users out there with feedback?

Yes, great saw. 95cc and will comfortably handle a 36'' bar. Mine is the 066 model designation. The current version is the MS 661.
I'm a bit less familiar with this current line up, but only because my 66 has been hangin tuff since I bought her new in 2001. I had normally ran a 28'' bar on it even though it came with a 25''. I changed to the 36'' on when I needed the extra cut, and would swap back to either previous mentioned bars for smaller wood. With the growth of my saw arsenal, the 36 now lives on that saw. It is a heavy saw.

Without refreshing my memory for your needs, I would Stihl, pun intended, recommend the 73cc 462C. You won't regret it.

I was waiting for the dealer to get more 462s in and came across a used ms660. Has a 30" bar and comes with a milling attachment.

I would be careful buying a used mill saw. Mills are extremely hard on saws no matter the engine size.

Would this be a go to saw? Your only saw? As mentioned above with a 30” bar that thing will be heavy.

Reactions: all night moe
Would not be only saw, just a saw for bigger bucking. Was also pondering doing a little milling.

Reactions: Diabel
I went slightly different route. G660 the China clone. 1/3 or less the price of ms660😝

Reactions: Gearhead660
They are asking 700 usd for the saw and mill attachment.

Low quality/entry mills are very inexpensive ~~75.00. I would have tons of questions for the buyer, but would I get the true answers? Guys here are very knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction in terms of questions. Compression (can you check it yourself) etc. How old is the saw ~~600 usd for ms660 it must be an older saw.

It looks like an older one.
I plan to check compression and remove the muffler to check the piston on any used saw I buy.

Sounds like you know what you are doing😉.
If the saw is in good shape (no China parts in it) with good compression, I would grab that over new out of the box G660😝 for 500 (no mill)

I was waiting for the dealer to get more 462s in and came across a used ms660. Has a 30" bar and comes with a milling attachment.
I'd wait for the dealer, especially over a saw that's seen milling. My friend milled that way years ago. Diabel is right. Milling is hell on a saw. When you witness it, you'll never want to buy a used mill saw. Wide open, throttle on a bogged down load.

With the wait on a 462C, you get a new saw that fits your needs, and a warrantee.

Thought I'd stop in at the Hearth to catch up. Starting to snow and I'm not ready for it. Gotta go.

I'd wait for the dealer, especially over a saw that's seen milling. My friend milled that way years ago. Diabel is right. Milling is hell on a saw. When you witness it, you'll never want to buy a used mill saw. Wide open, throttle on a bogged down load.

With the wait on a 462C, you get a new saw that fits your needs, and a warrantee.

Thought I'd stop in at the Hearth to catch up. Starting to snow and I'm not ready for it. Gotta go.
^^^^^
What he said. My G660 is dressed in 36” milling chain. When sharp it moves nicely. Once it has gone through few runs and I am tired I push it hard. Full throttle, no mercy. Most guys run the alaskan mills the same

Found an 046 for sale. Recent rebuild. Going to check it out.

Found an 046 for sale. Recent rebuild. Going to check it out.
Good saw. 75cc a bit heavier than the 72cc saw but not bad. A loggers old favorite.
I have the newer version, MS 461. The performance of mine doesn't compare to the 046/MS 460.
Good luck,

I've run a 32" bar on my MS460 with skip tooth chain. It will pull it fully buried in hardwood. It needs the high output oil pump parts though. It does really well with a 24" bar running full comp.

Well, here it is. 046 with 28" bar. New jug, piston, clutch, drum, muffler, and carb rebuilt. Thanks everyone for the help!
20240107_131314.jpg

Looks like a very clean saw.

Its in good shape, runs great. Sliced up some 24" ash and oak when I got home. At half the price of a new 462, I think I will be happy with it.

Reactions: bigealta
this thread was about choosing a chain saw

oh heck, he forgot the angle grinder with a 4" saw blade on it.