Which saw should I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
I currently have an MS290 with a 20" bar. I am looking to get a bigger saw. Want to run a 24"/25" bar. Would be used primarily for bucking larger trees. A couple options I am seeing are the 362/362CM, 400CM, 462CM. Are the 400 and 462 really worth the extra $? I am partial to Stihl, but could go a different color...
Any real world feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Just saw the 460 and the 545 Husky. Any feedback on those?

Last edited:
I have a Husky 562XP and it pulls a 24" bar with ease, a 572XP would be even better. I cut with a MS290 for seventeen or so years and recently got the 562XP. Going from a 290 to the 562XP was like going from a Chevette to a Porsche. If you are patient, you can generally a find 10% off sale on Husqvarna OPE.

All of my other saws are Stihl and I've had very few issues with them. We went with Husky because we were able to find a professional 60cc saw for a much more affordable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gearhead660
I have a 290 I have a 24" bar setup for it. It's been de-epaed so it pulls. As long as I don't bury a spike for leverage it's good.

I didn't see the need for a new saw for the 24" when it does the job.

I have a 290 I have a 24" bar setup for it. It's been de-epaed so it pulls. As long as I don't bury a spike for leverage it's good.

I thought I went with a 20" bar on my 290 because that was the most they recommended. I guess I could just get a 24" bar for it, but I dont want to struggle when I am slicing up some big rounds.

I have a Husky 562XP and it pulls a 24" bar with ease, a 572XP would be even better. I cut with a MS290 for seventeen or so years and recently got the 562XP. Going from a 290 to the 562XP was like going from a Chevette to a Porsche. If you are patient, you can generally a find 10% off sale on Husqvarna OPE.

All of my other saws are Stihl and I've had very few issues with them. We went with Husky because we were able to find a professional 60cc saw for a much more affordable price.
Looks like the 562 and 572XP are not too far off in price from the 462CM. How much less were they when you purchased?

Looks like the 562 and 572XP are not too far off in price from the 462CM. How much less were they when you purchased?
At the end of 2022 the girlfriend paid $789.99 - 10% because the saw was on sale at RK, so the saw was roughly $711. It looks like the retail price of the saw in the configuration that I bought mine is is now $819. Husqvarna had a 10% off sale a month or so ago. It might worth calling Stahl's to see what they are selling the saw for.

The MS391 is often compared to the 562XP since they are closest in cc's. I think the 4 series Stihl would be closer to a 572XP ( 72 cc's ).

Last edited:
I thought I went with a 20" bar on my 290 because that was the most they recommended. I guess I could just get a 24" bar for it, but I dont want to struggle when I am slicing up some big rounds.
20 is the recommended I seem to remember too. I just screwed out the oil needle so it uses a tank of oil per tank of gas and it's been fine.

I only run the big bar when I need it cause it makes it heavier than I want to throw around all the time. It's normally got the 20 on it.

You guys are mixing pro saws up with "ranch" saws. 🤪

While a 60cc pro saw will pull a 24" bar ok - ish, occasionally, the correct saw for a 24" bar is 70cc.

OP, if you frequently need a 24" bar buried, then opt for the 70cc pro saw. 462, 372, 572, or even the echo 70cc offering will effortlessly pull that chain. Anyone who thinks their 60cc saw is really pulling that buried 24" with authority simply hasn't done the same with a decent 70cc's.

There's a general rule of thumb (or used to be anyway) for optimum performance; 3" of bar for every 10cc.

The Stihl 400 (67 cc, m-tronic, 12.8 lbs, 5.4 bhp) and 500 (79.2 cc, 13.9 lbs, 6.7 bhp,) are the new kids on the block. Fuel injected light-weight pro saws with m-tronic. They look good on paper.

I have a MS 400 which has a magnesium piston. It is not fuel injected but with a Bark Box it will dyno at around 6.25 hp. The only problem with the Bark Box is that it is wicked loud. But spinning 14000 rpm it rips through hardwood with full comp chain.
To run a 25" bar you should up grade the oiler with the oiler from a MS 461.
The MS 500i is a fuel injected saw and is an absolute animal.

Last edited:
I have a MS362. It's a fine saw but it's a little slow with a 24" bar. And the oil pump needs to put out more. I'd get a MS400 if you're running a 24" bar most of the time. I don't have Husqvarnas other than a blower that ran terribly until I fixed the carburetor so I can't address the relative merits of the two brands.

When I'm running a 24" bar buried in wood I'm using my MS460. The 400 puts out nearly similar power and weighs less.

Sounds like I should be looking at 70cc saws. The 572 is around $1100. Will go price the Stihl offerings. Have noticed a big price jump from 60cc to 70cc saws.

462C a 72ish cc saw with a chipped carb. No carb adjusting for the user. You'll have so much fun running this saw. your 290 will enjoy some shelf life. Husky has their chipped versions too.... got you're partial to Stihl.

If you stick with Stihls the bars will swap between the MS290 and the new saw. That can come in handy.

Mtronic works pretty well. I have a lot of experience tuning two stroke carbs but having the saw do it means one less thing to think about, and the carb is always tuned just right vs close enough.

Anyone have experience with the 391? Looks to be between a 362 and 462.

Went to the local dealer. The 400 with 25" bar is $1000. The 462 with 28" is $350 more. They say 25" is max for the 400. If I am going to spend this much, figure I should get a saw that can handle more bar. Right?

Depends on your needs and willingness to handle more weight. I think Stihl's correct to limit the 362 to 24" (Stihl calls that 25"). The oil pump is at its limit there and the saw cuts kind of slow with a 24" bar fully buried. A 28" would be too much for sure. But the 400's got more power than the 362 and you can modify the oil pump for more output. I haven't run one but based on my 362 experience I think it'd handle a 24" bar pretty well.

But if you're going to be fully burying that 24" bar in hardwood all the time and sometimes needing a 28" bar, and the weight is ok, then the 462 might be the ticket. It's half a hp and half a pound more.

My preference is to have a few bars to select from rather than run the longest bar all the time. When you don't need a long bar the extra length is just in the way and possibly messing up the saw's balance. I'm working on my own land and can set up a saw as needed for a task. And my back's good so bending over is not a problem.

I already have a 16" and 20" bar so I wouldn't be stuck with a 28" bar all the time.
Think I have to decide if I go with a 400 or 462.

I would rather spend extra money on extra light weight bars than extra CCs in this size range. The bigger the saw the less time you spend running it in my opinion. (Says the guy who’s got a choose 37 or 90cc).

• Haha
Reactions: all night moe
The 462's power to weight ratio is spot on. This legendary lineup started with the 044, to the MS 440 Magnum, to the current 462c.

For a while, the adjustable carbureted 462 was recently sitting on shelfs. These are not normally available stateside. I guess there was a shortage of M-tronic parts. Anyway, the 462 is not a 72cc saw. It's a 75cc saw, more in line with the 046 and MS460. Big difference in power to weight.

I have ran a 461 for over ten years. Zero issues with it. It has mostly cut hard wood. Lots of hedge. It's been our go to saw. Spend the money and go 462 or 500. You won't be sorry.

I have a 462 that I picked up this year. It's an amazing saw. I normally run a 28" light bar on it as I live in the mountains and cut a lot of pine. If I head to the foothills to cut oak, I have a 24" bar I put on it. With the 28" light bar, it weighs less and has better balance than my old Husky 359 with a 20" bar. If you already have a saw with shorter bars, I'd go for the 462 with a light bar. I do prefer to stand up and buck, and when I am using the 462, it definitely makes me smile.