Looking for a new stove to replace Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shoes

Oct 1, 2020
Maine
We built our 1900sf house in Maine in 1985. For the first 19 years we heated the whole house with a c1985 Vigilant, burning 3.5 to 4 cords of wood per winter. In 2004 we upgraded to Defiant non-cat model 1610 Everburn (big mistake, I know). Twice over the years I've had to patch the inner chamber that is exposed when I remove the flue collar for annual cleaning. This year I'm again afraid of what I'll find when I remove the collar for cleaning. Second, the Defiant has a tendency to backpuff in the middle of overnight burns. We have grandkids now, and I'd hate to have that happen when they're staying overnight with us.

I've been reading the forum and checking with local stove dealers on the brands they carry. The brands and models I've seen mentioned are the PE stoves (Summit Classic LE and Alderlea T5 and T6), Jotul, Regency, and Hearthstone. One of our hopes is to find a stove that operates well and comes in a red enamel finish such as the T5 and Classic LE. Are there any other brands I should also check out, and are any of the brands I mentioned problematic? I don't don't want to repeat my mistake when we bought the VC Defiant Everburn 16 years ago.

The Summit can be ordered with a red enamel jacket. The Alderlea T6 is only available in painted black finish. You might also look at the Hearthstone Manchester.

After 37 years using a VC Vigilant I recently installed a Hearthstone Manchester. We have a 1500 sq foot log cabin, always leave the furnace at 50 degrees, and use the stove full time when we are there. I have not really loaded it up yet but so far I would say this:
Looks good, hard to get a fire started as opposed to the Vigilant, flame show is great especially with the cat engaged, extremely fuel efficient. I can't believe how long the wood burns. I like it. I'll write a full review once it gets colder and I have more experience.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Sailrmike
Yes, I looked at the hearthstone Manchester, but it has side door loading. We don't have a hearth wide enough to accomodate side door loading and still stay within safety codes.

how about a restored old VC?