looking for an enormous modern wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dirtsandwich

Jan 17, 2022
Oregon
We purchased an 1885 farmhouse and would like to put an insert in one of the fireplaces. Here's a picture as it sits today. It is 48" wide, 32.5" height, 27.5" deep at the bottom and 18.5" deep at the top. it starts sloping in about halfway up. It is an absolute beast.

I don't want a catalytic or a single burn rated insert. We like the look of modern inserts that are clean and simple. Thanks!

I would make sure that you can get an insulated stainless steel chimney liner down your existing chimney. Depends on which insert you decide 6” or 8” liner. Lots of variables and unknowns here house size, insulation type, windows etc. You could check other threads for brands, that’s how I got started.

There aren't really any inserts that are all that large. There just wouldn't be enough market for them. I would look at stoves to set in there

And you're set on an insert, not a freestanding stove?

Do you want large to fill (and have less surround trim)? Or large because you want the largest heat output?

The Osburn Matrix has a large (the largest?) heat output and may fit.

Someone on here just set a woodstock Ideal Steel in fireplace they 3.2 cubic feet. The biggest insert wood be the Blaze King's followed by the Osburn 3500I then the Lopi large flush. That is just largest bu cubic feet not heat output.

I didn't look at the specs, but sometimes they can be deceiving. I would make sure that at a minimum you can load 16" splits front to back with a little left over. When we were looking, I recall one insert bragged about how big it was, and it was too shallow for a 16" split.

Reactions: stoveliker
How tall of a chimney?

If you choose to install a freestanding stove into the fp. please keep in mind the further the stove is in the fireplace the less performance your going to have unless the stove is double jacketed and has a blower for its convective properties.
BTW, I could def see a woodstock progress hybrid w/ rear vent sitting just infront of the fireplace, or an ideal steel but those have cats in them.
Buck stove company makes some large inserts, in non cat, might be worth looking them up.

With a tall chimney you will definitely want a a flu damper with a tube stove or insert. I heave read on here that Blaze Kings will run on a tall chimney with no problem. The post about the woodstock ideal steel was on a 27' chimney all though it was an 8" liner you might want to read that post.

Some folks have dampers too for BKs. It's hard to put a damper in with an insert. is a freestanding stove (with rear exit) an option?

How do you feel about hybrid stoves (that have a catalytic converter but also secondary air intakes to get lots of flames)? If you want a non-cat for the flame quality, those could be a good set of additional options.

Some folks have dampers too for BKs. It's hard to put a damper in with an insert. is a freestanding stove (with rear exit) an option?
It’s not that hard and has been done by extension of control rod through the surround.

32inche height will limit stove choices. It’s only 6” wider and 3 taller than mine. So it’s large but not unusually so.