Looking for best install kit for cathedral ceiling.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephnyoung1

Dec 5, 2016
Southern Maryland
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hello everyone, just signed up here so forgive me if I post has been answered etc. I signed up because I like fire, and I also like to be alive so I want a safe setup. That being said I bought a house last year with an existing U.S. Stove forester wood stove insert. I enjoy using it and have used it this season so far. I heats up my 1780 sq ft home nicely right now but burns through wood and requires refueling about every three or four hours if I want to keep it burning hot and clean.

I found two brand new englander Madison wood stoves on cl and picked them up for 700 for both.

One will be in the garage and the other in the back tv room with a cathedral ceiling. I am trying to figure out what type of chimney setup/ kit I should use for the cathedral ceiling. It's only maybe a 12' ceiling from the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to use the new stoves! If any additional info is needed let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
$700 for brand new Madisons? I think this might be the Craigslist Steal of the Day.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I thought it was a pretty good deal as well.asking price was 475 each. Anyways I guess the first thing for me to do is go find out my roof pitch, then call up duratech or another brand and find out what will work best for me.

Leaning towards this. The roof is on top of the truss and obviously the ceiling attaches to the roof truss from below so there is no attic space, only the size of the roof truss. Although it says it's for manufactured homes it also says it is good for cathedral ceilings. A little pricey, but can anyone think of something just as good but at a better price?

Here is a link.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DuraVent-D...ome-Chimney-Stove-Vent-Kit-6DP-KMFG/202281660

Looks very much so like my setup. My ceilings are taller than yours, but similar setup. 6in black double wall to the ceiling, support box through the roof, then triple wall for the last few feet. I've never had an issue or complaint.

While I'm no sweep or expert, I wouldn't cut corners looking for something cheap. You get what you pay for and I refuse to cheap out on anything fire related. Plus you know the kit fits together for ease of install.

I can supply pics if you'd like to get an idea of what install looks like.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Leaning towards this. The roof is on top of the truss and obviously the ceiling attaches to the roof truss from below so there is no attic space, only the size of the roof truss. Although it says it's for manufactured homes it also says it is good for cathedral ceilings. A little pricey, but can anyone think of something just as good but at a better price?
Go with double wall insulated rather than the triple wall. it costs a little more but it has twice the insulation a smaller outside diameter and is more air tight

Reactions: Babaganoosh
Go with double wall insulated rather than the triple wall. it costs a little more but it has twice the insulation a smaller outside diameter and is more air tight

I gotta agree on that one. My chimney is from excel . It's expensive but really nice stuff. They have 2 ceiling support boxes, a round am a square. Square is easier to install. Once again it is pricey. I'd also go with a piece of telescoping pipe in the setup. Makes install and cleaning much easier.

The better product from DuraVent is DuraTech chimney pipe. One thing when buying a kit that you want to check is what flashing they provide. The flashing comes in a few different angles to get it close to the roof pitch. If you get the components individually then you can specify the proper flashing.

These folks have provided good service in the past. Tell them that you want to do a cathedral ceiling supported chimney and send pics via email. Ask for Sean if he's still working there. He'll suggest the right parts you need. Also, download the installation directions from DuraVent's website for the appropriate chimney pipe.
http://www.woodstovepro.com/store/Chimney-Pipe-Venting-Pipe/Wood-All-Fuel-Piping/6-inch-c154/

Note that you are going to need to frame out support for the cathedral ceiling support box. Highbeam documented this process for the chimney in his workshop. The pics in his thread may be helpful.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/installed-englander-30nc.115825/

Wow! Thank you everyone! I had no idea double wall is actually better than triple wall, I thought the complete opposite. I will be going with that then. Any reason you suggest double wall below the ceiling? Just to keep the flu gas temps up? I would think the extra heat in the house would be good from single wall below the chimney, but if it's better and will help keep creosote down I'm all for it.

Framing should be no problem. I have already put in three roof vents for an attic so I feel confident in my abilities to install, but not so much in what items to install. Thank you all for your help. If anyone knows of a good kit feel free to post the links, I will be checking out excel, and the duratech suggested above. Again, thanks for all of the support suggestions and help!

I used single wall up to the ceiling support box, as that is what was recommended from here at the time. For the reason you stated of getting more heat in the house. I got all my installation parts from Menards here. Lowes and Tractor Supply had everything also but Menards was cheaper at the time.

View attachment 189690 Any thoughts or opinions on this Selkirk pitched ceiling kit?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009SQG3I/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Also attached is a picture of the desired location I plan on installing. Will go in the corner where the plants currently are. The garage already has a through the wall kit installed from an old oil burner so that is much more straight forward.
That looks like a flat ceiling install. Is there an attic with access above?

It is actually a slanted. There is no access it goes from drywall, to studs, insulation between, sheathing on top. Only space there is what is available from the size of the roof truss.

Well I ended up ordering the Selkirk ultra temp ceiling support kit, along with two 30" pieces of the ultra temp pipe to go above the room. Now I just need roof flashing and stovepipe from the stove to the ceiling support.

I measured and I have 7' to the ceiling from the top of the wood stove maybe a foot between and will have 6' on top of the roof. That puts me at 14' of chimney. Minimum recommended for the stove is 15' so I will see how it does and if I need to add more for draft I will. Items should be here tomorrow and Saturday. Hopefully I can pick up some roof chimney flashing and single wall pipe at a local store. I will let everyone know how it goes! Again, thanks for the help!

image.jpeg

Here you can better see the slope of the ceiling. Please ignore the crooked curtain rod. I bought it this way and just haven't gotten around to straighten it yet.

Well, got it mostly installed yesterday, and finished up today. Maintained all clearances. Used single wall in the house up to ceiling support, then double wall class a to the chimney cap. Started the first break in fire and all went great! It's dying out now. One more and she's ready for winter! Thanks again for the help everyone!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

You got the deal of the century on those stoves. It's good to see it work out well for you.

The Madison won't disappoint. And WOW that's a steal. I thought $750 for one was a good deal lol

We're also using the same hearth pad :D

dd3c0a1b84bedb629edf15444531bace.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking set up! I'm pretty sure I read a thread on here somewhere and saw that photo. So far I'm very impressed with the burn times using small pieces of wood. I get full secondary action once it gets heated up and I pull the damper closed! It's awesome! The only downside for me is the way the smoke exits the stove up the chimney. Seems to go up right by the door and causes some smoke to leak out a bit when I open the door if it's not super hot, and getting it going takes a little patience, but other than that it's a dream. I wish there was a way to put the other one in my living room to replace the old log eating insert that's in there now. I may really consider doing that because I like this stove so much.

How is your couch? I have the corners 9" from walls like the stove says, but I haven't even cranked it up yet and they are getting pretty warm. I was surprised the pad took the weight of the stove without crushing. Seems to be doing its job so far.

How is your couch? I have the corners 9" from walls like the stove says, but I haven't even cranked it up yet and they are getting pretty warm. I was surprised the pad took the weight of the stove without crushing. Seems to be doing its job so far.
Was that couch question for me? If so, the couch is fine. It's my favorite spot in the whole house now lol. Others might think it's a little warm though. The couch itself doesn't get hot to the touch. It's the minimum recommended distance, plus the metal gate I think helps keep even more heat off. I've noticed the only part of the box that throws heat off like crazy is the front. Feels like an inferno coming from it. The sides are warm ( hot to the touch ) but not anywhere near as hot as the top and front. The rear is almost touchable ..... I'm guessing due to the shield for the blower.

The Madison won't disappoint. And WOW that's a steal. I thought $750 for one was a good deal lol

We're also using the same hearth pad :D

View attachment 190227

I really like your stove guard screen. Where did you find that at?

I really like your stove guard screen. Where did you find that at?
I got it at Lowes. It's actually 3 different gates together. I wound up drilling and attaching them together. I have an 18 month old so I needed to keep her clear away lol.

It's 2 of the cheaper ones on either side and one of the more expensive one in the middle. The big one comes with fireplace tools and hooks so it's well worth it.

e342ddeb5b4f3c7adf1a787569fd7161.jpg 0c92effa86e61e5ff90a4d95b992e70f.jpg

Install looks great, do you need some support on the chimney? How many feet above roof 6'? High winds around you?

There should be a roof brace at 5ft above the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.