Looking for chipper advice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gooserider thanks for the info, guess ill hold off and look for a pto chipper with feed rollers. We also turn every over into firewood down to 1-2" but still have huge piles of branchs left over. Dont want to drag all the way back to the house where we have a cleared area for a burn pile or deal with bringing to the dump, also alot of work.

As for my calculations, I got a converter off of the web that stated 15-17cc = 1 HP guess they were wrong.

Again many thanks.

~ Phil

Status update...

I've basically put everything back together, my OPE guy has been having trouble getting the parts, so I told him I'd go on-line, and have ordered a new belt and clutch - should be in Monday next week.

In the meantime, I'm running the old tired belt and clutch.

Chipping through the small branch chute is slow and shaky, but it does a little, however it also seems to get stuck if you lean on it even a little bit hard - the drum stops spinning, the clutch slips and starts smoking, so you have to stop the engine and clear it out, general hassle.

The big chute will take small branches and chunks of wood mixed in with my half rotted leaves, but a lot of them tend to get blown through with minimal chomping.

The material I'm most anxious to chop up right now are the leaves from my compost pile that I started last fall - essentially I had a bunch of lawn guys dump their loads into a big pile, and left it sit over the winter, no special effort to turn or do anything to make it "cook" faster. The resulting pile is very mixed in it's composition; some parts are fairly well composted, though there are a lot of leaf fragments still there, other areas are largely dry and seemingly little changed beyond clumping togther.

The unit has a door on the end opposite the chute, that can be set to three different positions - according to the manual, wet leaves should take the middle position. With this kind of mixed quality of leaves, I'm getting a very mixed output, some of the dryer leaves tend to just blow through with little damage, other leaves get chopped up pretty small, but the size varies a lot. I get a certain amount of really fine dirt that comes out through the grates under the machine, but only until that space fills up.

It is a very slow process, as the leaves don't seem to want to flow through the hopper, essentially I have to punch each scoop down into the shredder, using a stick of some sort (which gets slowly consumed as I do find the teeth every once in a while - If I poke too much in at a time, it clogs and either stalls the engine or slips the clutch - either requires openning up the back end of the machine and cleaning it out. I had left the belt guard off knowing that I would need to remove it to change the clutch, but I'm finding it very good that I have as it makes it easier to turn the drum by hand while cleaning it out. However I've now chopped up enough leaves to fill my raised garden beds about 1/2 way (36" wide beds, ~6" deep, a little over 100' total length) Now I have to filter / grind the couple yards of finished compost that my friend gave me - nice stuff, but lots of debris in it - and fill the beds the rest of the way. Should be really good for the garden.

The engine (fortunately) seems to start pretty well, which is a good thing as I'm needing to start it often :mad: It does seem a bit on the tired side though, as it doesn't seem to have much "oomph" when I dump a big load of leaves in it - I'm not sure just how much the new clutch will help, other than making the engine stall more instead of having the clutch slip. Once I cleaned the carb out and gotten it running the only trouble it gave me is the recoil clutch got stuck, which melted center out of the recoil rope pulley - $30 from the local OPE guy for a new clutch and pulley...

I'm not thrilled with the purchase, but it is doing at least some of what I wanted it to do.

Gooserider

Thanks for the info, I think im going to save my pennies and wait for the opportunity to get a true chipper unit that doesnt also do shredding. Those appear to have a heavier flywheel more blades and some have feed rollers which will suck the wood in, thats what I really want.

Thanks and good luck with it.

~ Phil

I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a chipper too, but the little ones don't seem to be worth it?
Are the electrics a total waste?

velvetfoot said:
I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a chipper too, but the little ones don't seem to be worth it?
Are the electrics a total waste?

Haven't tried the electrics, but I'd assume they would be like a small gas unit only more so, which makes me feel very doubtful about them.

Based on my experience with the Kemp, I would say that the small gas units depend on what you do with them - they do OK chopping up leaves, and MAYBE the very occasional limb - as in what naturally falls off the trees, but are not at all effective for any significant amount of limbs or other such...

Gooserider

I once saw a push mower at a yard sale that had a hole cut in the top of the deck right above the sharpened part of the blade with a chute welded on the hole. Prolly worked all right on really small stuff. Never asked the guy about it but it did make me go hmmmmmmmm?????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, but it would seem reasonable to me that it SHOULD be possible to make a dedicated, small engine powered, chipper that could handle brush and small branches reasonably quickly and efficiently, especially if one wasn't really worried about chip consistency, or making it fancy... welding a bottom onto a lawnmower deck, and adding a chute, maybe a couple more blades and an engine in the 8-10 hp range would seem like a decent start...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.