Looking for detail Information on pilot tubing fitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarineBob

May 9, 2023
New England
I have en Enviro E30, purchased in 2015, so 8 years old. The Thermocouple and/or Thermopile apparently was bad and I changed them out. Aside form the incredibly poor maintainability access design, the replacement was pretty easy. But I ran into a problem. To access the TC and its 4 mile long line I disconnected the gas fitting to the pilot. When I removed its mounting plate it was clear that the original assembly had just had the aluminum tubing just all mashed up in a ball cramed back into the lower-outside bottom portion of the stove. That messing set up caused a pretty good kink at the fitting which did not allow it to be unscrewed easily. Anyway, when I reassembled the pieces, I beleive by straightening out the tube, at the ferrule got pinched such that it much have gotten a tiny crack. Evidence was when the stove was left, pilot only running, there was a faint gas smell, obviously not a good thing. So I took the whole thing apart again and when I went to disconnect the gas line to the burner hood fitting, it broke, further suggesting it had been compromised. So, I need to replace the gas line. Here's my issue (finally) . When I disconnect the line from the valve body, that fitting looks like a common every day compression two part fitting. The pilot end looks ALMOST the same, but almost like it is a bit different with a cone that seems to have a slightly steeper angle cone. Question: (1) does anybody know if the two fittings on the ends are the same? Or are they different? Will the 'standard' fitting that is on the valve end worth on the pilot end? (2) Does anybody know how to contact Enviro to ask them the question? When you look up the replacement part, a standard tube can be had for $10-12 bucks. I want to buy the fitting I need and shorten the line to make it way more easily installed. (Original line is like 18-20 inches when ther need is maybe 9" making the cramped installation very difficult. Other replacements show a way different, won't work end or another tube that looks like the $12 version but costs $55. Any help, or incite is appreciated

The pilot tubing on our wall furnace has a compression fitting on one end and a break away fitting on the other. From your description, that might be what you have. When I replaced ours, I got this kit from our local appliance store and cut it to fit. I imagine that you can buy just the fittings also.

AAAhhhhh.... maybe that's it. While looking into the array of fittings I saw the breakaway type, and since the two ends on my tube are slightly different, maybe that's the pilot burner fitting end. It is ever so slightly different but it looks like the angle of the cone is maybe 5-10 deg steeper, if that makes sense. And that's just by eye looking through a magnifying glass. I have seen listings for just the fittings and I am now wondering why there are the breakaway type. I would think that especially with soft aluminum tubing, the two piece design would put less possible twist on the tube as the fitting is tightened. But maybe the break away is an easier install? And the break happens before there is much tightening? Thanks for the thoughtful reply. As I noted, the manufacturer replacement is obscenely expensive for what is offered and no ability to adjust the length to something reasonable for a terrible (for maintenance access) design. I got a bunch of Amazon offerings that all look good quality so I'll find what seems the best and get at it. Thanks again for the most reasonable answer I have gotten anywhere.

Reactions: 49er
AAAhhhhh.... maybe that's it. While looking into the array of fittings I saw the breakaway type, and since the two ends on my tube are slightly different, maybe that's the pilot burner fitting end. It is ever so slightly different but it looks like the angle of the cone is maybe 5-10 deg steeper, if that makes sense. And that's just by eye looking through a magnifying glass. I have seen listings for just the fittings and I am now wondering why there are the breakaway type. I would think that especially with soft aluminum tubing, the two piece design would put less possible twist on the tube as the fitting is tightened. But maybe the break away is an easier install? And the break happens before there is much tightening? Thanks for the thoughtful reply. As I noted, the manufacturer replacement is obscenely expensive for what is offered and no ability to adjust the length to something reasonable for a terrible (for maintenance access) design. I got a bunch of Amazon offerings that all look good quality so I'll find what seems the best and get at it. Thanks again for the most reasonable answer I have gotten anywhere.

On our furnace the breakaway fitting is at the valve and the compression fitting is at the pilot. The breakaway fitting broke with very little pressure when I installed ours and I had to tighten it quite a bit more to seal the fitting.

Good luck with your project.

FWIW......the fitting on my insert at the valve body appears to be a 2 piece design: nut and ferule. Other end is the pilot burner attachment. Go figure? It looks like a nut and ferule but I suppose thats what you get once the breakaway breaks away. threads on the nuts are the same and the ends appear interchangable other than the burner end fitting is boogered up