Looking for history on my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter

Aug 9, 2013
Az
Hello everyone! I am new to this site and wood burning stoves. I recently acquired a stove that my grandmother gave to me. I was told it is reall old. But I was also told it could possibly be a replica. Either way it's a really cool antique looking stove. It has a tag on the front that says, "fireside baker stove wks bellville ill." There are multiple locations that say "won 20" and on the front left it says "no" and on the right it says "20" of anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome, skeeter. A picture or two would certainly help a bunch. I'm also going to move your thread to the Classic stove forum, where it sounds like it belongs. Rick

Apparently Belleville, IL was woodstove city for a while. Over time there were at least 50 foundries there. Unfortunately the Baker Stove Works didn't make to the 30s. It went down in flames.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/1995/ihy951219.html

Wow I can't believe how fast I got some responses! Thank you all for commenting and thx fossil for moving it. I only have my phone right now and it's not letting me send pics to the thread. Unfortunately no it does not look like that jag. Begreen thx for the link I'm going to have to read that for sure when I'm done wih work. I never knew that about bellville ill or how important these types of stoves were to life in the early 1900s. If someone wants to give me their email I will send any pic you want. Thx again everyone this is really cool

image.jpg

skeeter1.jpg skeeter2.jpg skeeter3.jpg

Lots of help.

Reactions: Jags
I was doing the same....:confused:

Full sized images here.
image1.jpg image2.jpg

The stove looks to be in nice condition. I suspect that there was an isinglass (mica) window.

I'm not sure what kind of window you mean but if tour talking about the inserts for the front door I have them still. Any other pics I can take? Ill try to find the inserts

Well - seeing as though it looks like it was burned out of the market in the 30's I doubt that a manual is going to be readily available.:p

To the OP - one thing for sure is that you will need to heed the 3ft clearance to combustibles. Other note worthy points are that some states won't allow this stove to be installed and some INS. Co. won't insure the install of a pre-epa stove. Might want to check the regs in your area.

I'm not sure what kind of window you mean but if tour talking about the inserts for the front door I have them still. Any other pics I can take? Ill try to find the inserts

Yes, are they sheet mica?

If you take more pictures, hold the phone/ipad horizontally. Then the pictures won't need rotating.

Every casting that I can find says "fire side no 20" "won 20" or won. C. 20". I was tools that the stack is somewhere but my mother is not sure where

Not a stove...it's an old cast iron toilet. ;lol

No wonder why tere was so much chit in it lol Jk. Is there anyone that knows a place I can call to get it verified as a piece of history and not a replica?

Looks to be a Baker Wood Stove Works, Fireside Number 20 by the markings. By the size I would say it's a small parlor stove. Definitely pre-EPA. ;)

Thx for al the help. If anyone knows a person to verify it please let me know. You said per EPA...when did rhy start? And do you think it's real and not a replica Bergeen?

Status
Not open for further replies.