Looking for ideas/suggestions for unique fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iamanya

Apr 5, 2021
California
So an off-topic question about a Fisher insert, probably Honey Bear. I hate how the insert backplate is a rectangle that cuts right across the lovely arch in the brick fireplace surround. Just like in the original poster's photo.

I am a renter and I'm not able to use the insert or fireplace because chimney is not sound. My preference would be to remove it and put some plants in the lovely I can't remove it because it's not mine.

Anyone have any suggestions for making my sad hearth look a little better?

Just curious: Is the insert's surround on a Fisher removable? I hate how the sourround is a rectangle that cuts right across the lovely brick arch on the fireplace surround. I'm a renter, so my options are limited, but I'd like to improve the aesthetics. Any ideas?

I think it's a Honey Bear.

The surround is removable. So is the stove.

It’s up to the landlord to remove it, seal the chimney opening so it can’t have a fire built in it, and make it appealing to rent.

I rent out a few homes and only allow coal stoves since they do not produce creosote. I remove wood stoves. In your case, as the owner I would seal off chimney, install a gas or electric fire log and you would have the appearance of a working fireplace.

If the owner won’t do that, or allow it, you can only cover it. A table cloth over the portion that sticks out and tall plants on top to cover the faceplate? A string of led lights on the arch will take the eye away from the horizontal line of the face plate you don’t like.
If you don’t like plants, check out the large digital picture frames. Set it on the stove, one big enough to cover the faceplate like a tv screen. If you move you always have it as a hanging changing picture you program with your own pictures.

Having an unsafe appliance installed is a liability. Kind of like a big leaning dead tree. Would the landlord have the tree removed? Could always point them to the forum and ask them to remove it l, as it is unsafe? I don’t know if the doors are easy to remove? If they are I would remove the surround and the doors(store away for reinstalling later) and find a clever way to decorate. By taking off the surround it will suck a lot of warm house air up the chimney when it’s cold outside which will be replaced by cold outside air until the flue is properly sealed.
Evan

@iamanya, can you post a picture of this insert and fireplace?
If the surround is not sealing the fireplace opening at the top of the arch and the stove has no liner attached, it is a very dangerous situation. Can anyone instruct her on how to remove the surround?