Looking for new 500 gallon tank - Where to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trail_Time

Sep 9, 2008
South Central, PA
Anyone have a lead on where to buy a new 500 gallon underground propane tank at a decent price? Fed up with my leased tank and the overpriced supplier.

A number of years ago... when I was building my straw bale home I went to one of my plumbing and heating wholesaler to enquire about purchasing a 250 gal propane tank... the very knowledgeable sales person told me I could purchase a tank of that size from him BUT that I wouldn't be able to find a propane supplier to fill the tank without jumping thru convoluted hoops like certification ect. In addition the largest Legally portable tank 100 gal. (when full) would require a lot of grunt to unload and position. If you find someone to sell that tank.. be sure you also have a fuel commitment from a dealer.

I didn't know that propane tanks can be put underground. When I'm out and about I see a bunch of them above ground tanks all over the place. I believe oil tanks are no longer able to be underground. What's dif about propane that allows it to still go in the ground?

The propane end of the national fuel gas code allows -when properly protected ( double coated and cathotic equipped) tanks containing propane to be burried- up to the "bell". Unlike oil, propane when released into the enviroment will mix with air and disapate... however periodic tank inspection is a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.