Looking for pics of wood stove and vent pipe with high ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulinND

Jan 4, 2023
ND
We are building a house and will have a great room with 18' flat ceiling. We plan to have a wood burning stove centered on a 48' long outside wall and run the vent pipe thru the ceiling and roof. Anyone have pics of a similar setup? Just wondering how the stove will look with such a long interior vent pipe. Thanks.

We are building a house and will have a great room with 18' flat ceiling. We plan to have a wood burning stove centered on a 48' long outside wall and run the vent pipe thru the ceiling and roof. Anyone have pics of a similar setup? Just wondering how the stove will look with such a long interior vent pipe. Thanks.
It will look like a wood stove! Seriously however it’s like putting on a pair of glasses, at first you see everything, then it becomes almost invisible unless you are looking for it.
There are several makers of high temperature paint in a variety of colors you could apply if you wanted to camouflage the piping. Extra work but an option.

18' heat sink. If you're in the design phase, I'd reconsider the high ceiling. Your heat will naturally go to the ceiling. A bit useless up there! Looks are a secondary concern at best in that case.

What is your architectural style/room aesthetic? There are loads of pictures of high ceiling applications. I think it probably comes down to getting a stove that is on the larger side so it stands up to the size of the room. I wish I had a great room to put a stove in! Just remember that with a room that tall, your heat is going to want to hang out in the ceiling. Hopefully you have a plan for air circulation. Here's just a couple photos. These are more rustic and one of them is vaulted, but you get the idea...

Picture1-1.jpeg
picture1-2.jpeg

Reactions: 1kzwoman
A good sized fan will move the heat down no problem so don’t worry about anyone telling you a cathedral ceiling is an issue. We had a pipe straight up about 21’ in the center of the house with the staircase right behind, looked great IMHO. Very similar to what @Starclassic posted in the first pic but we had it more behind the couch in the pic. We did have very similar windows.

Yes a good sized fan or in your case a few if the room is 48' wide will help with heat stratification. But you are still heating about 1.5x the volume you would be with standard ceiling heights.

What is your architectural style/room aesthetic? There are loads of pictures of high ceiling applications. I think it probably comes down to getting a stove that is on the larger side so it stands up to the size of the room. I wish I had a great room to put a stove in! Just remember that with a room that tall, your heat is going to want to hang out in the ceiling. Hopefully you have a plan for air circulation. Here's just a couple photos. These are more rustic and one of them is vaulted, but you get the idea...

View attachment 307024 View attachment 307025
Thanks much to everyone who replied and especially Starclassic for the photos. Much appreciated!