Looking for recommendations indoor wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pawoodgreen

May 2, 2023
Hi everyone!

For the past 8 years we have been heating our 2600 sq ft. home with a wood/coal boiler, fuel oil backup. Until Valentines day this was working ok right up until we had a bad chimney fire. We have decided that we will be replacing that system, relocating it closer to the chimney, but now very confused about the EPA standards and what is allowed to be inside. Originally looking at the Wood Gun but spending 20k - 25k is quite a bit over what we wanted to spend. We love burning wood however it would take me 20 yrs or more to recoup that expense. Are there any affordable indoor wood boilers that pass the EPA guidelines? EKO? Our other option is to look at giving up wood all together and go with fuel oil or propane. Any insight on systems that we can install inside would be greatly appreciated. Outdoor burner is not an option.

Boiler only?
Do you have HVAC ducts?
If so, the Kuuma VF100 forced air wood gasification furnace would take care of that chimney/creosote problem for ya...and even if you don't, one could get some simple ductwork installed and still be half of the boiler quote.

Last edited:
You'll have to define what affordable is.

There is no cheap solution in todays world unless you try to DIY something with a used boiler. Which I don't think I'd recommend. Ifyour user name indicates Pennsylvania, check out Smokeless Heat. In Lebanon. Well, maybe check them out anyway regardless.

Reactions: sloeffle
Hi, I’m a little late to the discussion but I’m running a Vigas 100 with 2000 gallons of thermal storage. I’m about $40k deep in to mine and I did everything myself, howbeit it is a tad overkill, kind of a commercial build up in a residential setting

Reactions: hobbyheater
Some great deals out there on used boilers. I was on Craigslist recently in New England recently and saw a complete system with large stainless steel thermal storage tank, a Tarm Solo and all the hardware for 8K.

On the other hand, realize the federal goverment is going to be rolling out a lot of incentives to go to high efficiency electric based heating in 2024. Mini Split type cold climate heat pumps are very efficient and with a suitable backup for very cold weather they are nice option for areas that also need AC.

The problem with electric is once the rates start to climb then you want an alternative heating system that you control the cost.
Wood is what you want as worst case senario, you can allways find wood to burn.

Hi everyone!

For the past 8 years we have been heating our 2600 sq ft. home with a wood/coal boiler, fuel oil backup. Until Valentines day this was working ok right up until we had a bad chimney fire. We have decided that we will be replacing that system, relocating it closer to the chimney, but now very confused about the EPA standards and what is allowed to be inside. Originally looking at the Wood Gun but spending 20k - 25k is quite a bit over what we wanted to spend. We love burning wood however it would take me 20 yrs or more to recoup that expense. Are there any affordable indoor wood boilers that pass the EPA guidelines? EKO? Our other option is to look at giving up wood all together and go with fuel oil or propane. Any insight on systems that we can install inside would be greatly appreciated. Outdoor burner is not an option.
Very simple
Hi everyone!

The autonom gasification boilers out of Canada are ul approved about 8 k usd starting prices.