Looking for recommendations - new house needs stove - 1000sf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2011
CT
So.... new house, new life requires new stove!

First floor install (Living room)
Small house
Would love to have an overnight burn BUT hesitant to run a cat (convince me I'm wrong!)
Don't want to push us out of the LR due to heat
Also, need to be able to cook on it when the power leaves us (and it always does around here) for weeks at a time
And cheap. Pretty is very secondary (maybe tertiary!) to function and ease of use.

Thanks for any advice! Went to the store today and petted a lovely Morso 7110, but I'm not sure it fits (especially the cheap part LOL)

Overnight burns in a small space can be hard to achieve without a cat stove when low btu output is needed. Is the stove room wide open to the rest of the house? How open is the floorplan?

Thanks begreen! LR and kitchen are open to each other - about 1/2 the sf of the first floor (maybe approx 350sf). Other than that, not too open. Two bedrooms and a bath make up the rest of the first floor. There's a stair off the LR that heads up that I think will allow some air to move upstairs.

Generally, are cat stoves easier to manage now than they were about 10-15 years ago when I was hunting my last batch of stoves? Wood stove salesman really recommended the Hearthstone GM40 for my setup.

Appreciate all feedback!