Looking for some recommendations on raised hearth redesign...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erichardson

Feb 24, 2009
MD
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out what to put in the fireplace in our finished walk out basement. The house is a 30 year old split level about 2500 square feet in northern MD with the chimney on an exterior wall. The chimney is probably 18 ft high. Previously we had a pellet stove in there but it really didn't cut it other than warming up the room a bit. I grew up on wood and really want a stand alone wood stove but I've got some logistical problems. The fireplace and hearth are raised 14" off a concrete slab. The hearth also extends 20" from the wall. The fireplace is 42"W, 20"D, and 25"H. It's the 25" height which is the issue...I also only have 66" of clearance at the ceiling above the hearth...There's ductwork above this...

I've considered the larger quad inserts like the 4100i and 5100i...as well as the Harman Oakwood and the Quad Isle Royale. Our primary heat is oil but i'm pretty sure we could put a dent into it with one of the larger models. Am I correct that code calls for a 16" clearance in the front? If that's the case, even if I went with the 5100i, it extends onto the hearth nearly 11 inches...my hearth is only 20" total so that would leave me 6" short of code, correct?

The height of the fireplace opening is causing me grief...I'm about two inches of short of being able to use the rear flue off the Oakwood or Isle Royale...and the hearth would still need to be extended. I was wondering if there would be some way to reduce the height of the raised hearth one layer of bricks and fit one of these stoves in...and it's got to look good due to the wife factor :) I'm pretty sure that our hearth is solid and I'd hate to rip the whole thing out because of costs...If we HAVE to extend the hearth regardless of an insert of woodstove, i'd much rather go with the wood stove...

I'm attaching pictures so you can see what i'm talking about. I'm open to any and all suggestions...

Thank you,
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 330
Hi.
All that thermal mass sitting there. That's what I see looking at my fireplace. Masonry stoves rule and you've got one, just not quite built right. There has to be a solution to convert all the mass into useful heat storage. I've thought about putting a masonry stove within a stove and adding a secondary burn insert along with an airtight loading door for some time now. Someone could probably make a lot of money going around making people's fireplaces efficient.
kksalm

Status
Not open for further replies.