Looking for the thread about cleaning cat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Hey guys im looking for the thread from last year when someone cleaned there converter in a blazeking. I remember they removed it and then boiled it in vinegar. I have searched with no luck. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
The manual lists -
0341C Combustor Gasket Slit 2” x 1/16”- 3 ft

The cleaning worked for me. Still using the cleaned cat and will keep using it until it fails again. Think I'll replace it at that point but if it takes another 12000 hours to fail then perhaps I'll give it another vinegar bath just to go for a record!

The cleaning worked for me. Still using the cleaned cat and will keep using it until it fails again. Think I'll replace it at that point but if it takes another 12000 hours to fail then perhaps I'll give it another vinegar bath just to go for a record!
Where did you purchase your gasket?

Firecat also sells the gasket by the foot. New cats come with a new gasket installed but to clean your old cat you'll need a new gasket. 36" minimum, 2$ per foot.

http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACIG-2-p/sku_acig-2.htm

I've searched for this in bulk but can't find it. It should be available in a 50-100 ft. roll for around $1/ft, no?

Yes, I'm a cheapskate and don't like to dink around buy a little here, a little there. I want enough for the life of the stove.

I've searched for this in bulk but can't find it. It should be available in a 50-100 ft. roll for around $1/ft, no?

Yes, I'm a cheapskate and don't like to dink around buy a little here, a little there. I want enough for the life of the stove.

At under 2$ per foot and since you only need 3' for every 6 years of stove operation it seems to be a very small part of the overall cost. New cats come with new gasket. You only need the gasket when you remove the cat for maintenance. This would be like buying a 55 gallon barrel of vinegar for the cat washing.

I see no reason that you couldn't buy 12 feet of gasket for 24$ which would last you 20 years easily.

Where do you stop? How much firewood do you keep? Do you think your stove will last 20 years? Will you live in the same house?

I have found no other source for the gasket but I didn't feel the need to keep looking past the same company that made the cat.

What stove are you burning in? Can you add it to the signature line?

I posted on this a couple weeks ago, but it's got a lot less detail than Highbeam's thread and isn't meant to show anyone how to do it. There might be about the same number of photos of the cat and the dog in there. ;)

It was actually quite pleasant except for the bit where I poured all the vinegar in the fire. :)

I guess it could be educational for that reason, though.

(Q: Should I pour a bunch of vinegar into a hot stove flue? A: No, don't do that.)

At under 2$ per foot and since you only need 3' for every 6 years of stove operation it seems to be a very small part of the overall cost.

I grew up from a very young age with the expression "A penny might make your fortune someday".

New cats come with new gasket.

Some do, some don't.

You only need the gasket when you remove the cat for maintenance. This would be like buying a 55 gallon barrel of vinegar for the cat washing.

I can buy vinegar for only $1.60/gal. ($USD) in Canada. I checked into the 55 gallon barrels and it would cost more that way. Why would I do that?

I see no reason that you couldn't buy 12 feet of gasket for 24$ which would last you 20 years easily.

Other than I could probably get 50 feet for about the same price.

Where do you stop? How much firewood do you keep?

As much as I can fit. Keep in mind, firewood does have a shelf life. I've found it's best around years 3-5.

Do you think your stove will last 20 years?

My last stove lasted 27 years. It was an early EPA approved tube stove with a 2.3 cu. ft. firebox. It finally had had too much and I signed off on it's certificate of death. But not before considering taking it to a welder for repair.

Will you live in the same house?

Probably. I dislike moving and I don't see that changing as I get older.

I have found no other source for the gasket but I didn't feel the need to keep looking past the same company that made the cat.

That's fine. I'll keep my eyes open.;)