Looking for thoughts on wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeffstally

Oct 27, 2018
Minnesota
Hello All,

I am looking to install a wood burning stove or zero clearance fireplace in this corner in the photo. In my last house I had a Regency Warm Hearth zero clearance and loved it.

Looking at the corner, would I be better off doing a stove or ZC? This is the main floor of a 1550 sq foot one story home, the basement is half finished, approximately another 900 sq ft. The corner is not an outside wall. On the other side of the left wall is my laundry room and the right wall is my gas furnace heated garage.

If I did a stove, I would probably move the cold air return by the floor, up to the ceiling. If I did a ZC, I would probably duct it into the furnace duct work to spread the heat.

I work from home and will be burning most of the time, but we have a natural gas furnace as well. I feel as though I do not want a catalytic stove because of the added cost/maintenance and I have all the free wood I can burn. I do have 3 kids at home, the youngest is 5 years old.

The models I am currently debating are a Regency F3100/Pacific Energy Summit or a Regency R90/Pacific Energy FP30.

The Regency R90 is closest to the Warm Hearth that I loved, but I am not crazy about the double doors.

Does anyone see advantages/disadvantages to either route?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 123
Id go with the stove every time unless heat output means nothing to you. Return ducts have to be minimum 10 feet from the stove I believe.

Reactions: ratsrepus
A corner install eats up more space than a install along the wall.

Our thought was that the zero clearance unit would be safer with the kids and dogs. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks
I have been working in the feild a long time and i have yet to come across a kid or dog that had a substantial injury from a woodstove.

Kids and our stoves never were an issue. They got the message - owee hot early on. The only issue we ever had with them growing up was once when our younger son was warming his buns on a cold day in front of the stove and his pajamas started to smolder. He moved pretty quickly away from the stove then.

Reactions: bholler and Ludlow
20181111_172035.jpg
i told her she was fine but had to move the chairs when she was done reading. And yes i know i need to insulate behind the stove i have the steel studs and roxul just havnt gotten there yet. It will all get finished sooner or later.

And to the bk guys no it usually doesnt run like that but she was cold so i let it tirned up for a while.

How is your insulation?
View attachment 233111 i told her she was fine but had to move the chairs when she was done reading. And yes i know i need to insulate behind the stove i have the steel studs and roxul just havnt gotten there yet. It will all get finished sooner or later.

And to the bk guys no it usually doesnt run like that but she was cold so i let it tirned up for a while.
I gotta admit, I never tired two stoves next to each other. I had three at one time, but never in the same room. Hook up that steel bastard and get them both going. You can never have too much heat.

Reactions: bholler
@bholler starting them early with the csia books?

I have been working in the feild a long time and i have yet to come across a kid or dog that had a substantial injury from a woodstove.

They learn real quick the word HOT. I did have a cat with a bushy tail that usually had the hair burnt off the end

They learn real quick the word HOT. I did have a cat with a bushy tail that usually had the hair burnt off the end
We had a dog that would lay close enough you would occasionally smell singed hair. But he was never hurt.

Our thought was that the zero clearance unit would be safer with the kids and dogs. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Thanks

I agree with what others have said. Kids learn quick. My daughter is nosey and curious and gets into everything. Even when the stove or oven is not in use just tell them that it is hot. She has touched the air control on my lopi when it was cold no big deal but I still told her not to touch it it could be hot. I’m pretty sure she burned a finger once to see if it was hot when it was running but now she stays away and actually says hot. Both kids stay plenty far away from them now. Just need to remind them not to be throwing toys around in the stove room.

Now I hope the new cat learns that it is hot before he tries this again.

c4f18ed1d137ad00c009fdbeb5a8d343.jpg

I think he knows since he singed whiskers on the bk though.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Reactions: bholler
The corner looks like a nice place for a stove and I’ve always liked the look but they do take up more room. How far away is the door to outside for bringing in wood? The best part about a free standing stove is the ability to replace it or exchange it for another stove very easily, wether something goes wrong with the old one or simply to upgrade.