looking for TOTALLY fireproof material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Ive heard of some spun ceramic or spun metal material that is somewhat flexible to pack around outer sleeve pipe,not to hot, to make absolutely sure
no heat gets near fiberglass insulation. ANyone know of some stuff... thanks

Kaowool, Rockwool etc. Mineral wool made from slag. Won't burn.

Why not just an air gap and radiation shield to ensure the gap is never comprimised? That is what most chimney manufacturers spec. Some chimney manufacturers expressly forbid any form of insulation from touching the outer wall as it prevents the wall from air cooling.

I can get you ceramic fiber blanket that we use in the refractory industry.. Comes in rolls, 1-3" thick, 24" wide and varrying lengths. What do you need?

Jason

There are a lot more better qualified people other than myself here to answer this but as far as I know you CANNOT place anything at all there. The pipe needs at least a 2 inch clearance around it to air cool. Anything touching it can create Hot Spots on the pipe. Shield off your fiberglass insulation if you want but keep the pipe opening clear. This is where a Firestop Radiation Shield is used to pass through the ceiling and provide the proper air space around your pipe.
If I'm wrong about this, I'm sorry but this is what I have always been told.

jtb51b said:
I can get you ceramic fiber blanket that we use in the refractory industry.. Comes in rolls, 1-3" thick, 24" wide and varrying lengths. What do you need?

Jason

Be careful with ceramic blanket- wear mask etc while handling- you don't want to breath the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.