Looking to buy for a small living room. Radiant fireplace insert too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nekoian

Nov 27, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
We're in the market for a gas fireplace insert to go into our (very old) wood fireplace. Our house is very old (1925). The salesman today told us and showed us how hot the Valor G3 is. It uses radiant heat and was super hot but can obviously be turned way down. He was basically trying to talk us out of that model because our room is so small.

It's about 11.5' x 11' but opens up to the dining room with a 6'w x 7'h opening.

I wouldn't have thought going into the store that a fireplace would be too hot. Now we're concerned about that (especially my wife) but I love the fact it doesn't require electricity hookup. Since our house is so old, I'm a little worried about adding another electrical hookup as most other fireplace inserts require that. It won't be easy.

Thoughts?

Buy whatever fits, set the flames low & use a thermostat.
That way it WON'T over heat you...
If you have an extended power outage, & that's your only
heat source, you'll be glad you did.

I guess that's where I am but the salesman scared off my wife. But for some reason she's not scared of freezing to death if there's a power outage! LOL.