Looking to get longer burn times between reloads on new cat insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
Hello,

I've read and agree with the notion that since this is my first year with this inset and with a cat unit for that matter - that I won't know what is a good burn time. The manual says I can get "up to" 12 hours of burn out of my 3.0 cu ft insert, fireplaceX large flush arch. On overnight burns I load it full and when I wake up I do get hot coals after about 8 hours.

So what I'm looking for is some general burn tips:

1. When should I reload and how. Right now the blower is still blowing hot air, and the coals are big and white hot - not powerdy yet. Should I reload right now- a single piece or jam it full? I think the right thing to do is jam it full, open up the air so the wood is engulfed and then over the course of 20 minutes or so choke the air down almost all the way. If I totally choke the air I get a lot of carbon on the glass. I have it about 1/4" out from choked out usually. But should I let it just go on coals until they are nearly burned out and the blower turns off? Try to reload like 2-3 times a day? Right now it seems like I'm reloading 6 times a day.....

Looking to get longer burn times between reloads on new cat insert

2. One of the observations that I have so far in my burning is that this stove seems to be an EW loader and can take like a 23" split. All my wood is 16"-18" so I can't really load it up and jam it up. I have gaps on the sides. Is it worth it to cut wood from now on to 23"?

3. What is a reasonable burn rate? I've went through 3 face cords (4'x8' at 16-18" deep) in about 6 weeks. So I'm at about 2 face cords a month? I live in upstate ny and have been burning 24/7. Does this seem like I'm going through wood too fast?

Your wood usage doesn't seem excessive.
On non-cats, I usually run it down to small coals, then stuff it full! If the Stove is hot, I'll turn the air all the way off to achieve good all night burns. The glass will get dirty, but an extra few hours of burn time is worth it. 12 just won't happen, that's marketing bullcrap. You might be able to scrape up a few sparks after 12 hours, but it won't be making any heat.

1. You are still just maybe 2/3 through your burn cycle. Those coals will throw heat for several hours more. No need to reload yet. When coals are much lower, rake them forward, drop splits behind and on top until you almost hit the baffle. Let the wood catch fire with the door open, close it, let fire establish itself and then reduce air in stages. Once cat reaches temp, engage that one.

2. Filling the firebox as much as possible will extend burn times. Having longer splits or some very short ones to fill the sides will be helpful.

3. 2/3 of a cord per month with a 3 cu ft insert is really not that much when burning 24/7.

I've read and agree with the notion that since this is my first year with this inset and with a cat unit for that matter - that I won't know what is a good burn time. The manual says I can get "up to" 12 hours of burn out of my 3.0 cu ft insert, fireplaceX large flush arch. On overnight burns I load it full and when I wake up I do get hot coals after about 8 hours.
I disagree with webby3650 here. I'm burning a 3.0 cu.ft. cat stove, and I get 12 hour burn times every day. Actually, at least twice a day, but I'm running two stoves. ;-). By 12 hour burn time, I mean the stove is still around 300F, and I can reload without having to go back to kindling. At 300F, a large stove is still putting off a good bit of heat.

1. When should I reload and how. Right now the blower is still blowing hot air, and the coals are big and white hot - not powerdy yet. Should I reload right now- a single piece or jam it full? I think the right thing to do is jam it full, open up the air so the wood is engulfed and then over the course of 20 minutes or so choke the air down almost all the way. If I totally choke the air I get a lot of carbon on the glass. I have it about 1/4" out from choked out usually. But should I let it just go on coals until they are nearly burned out and the blower turns off? Try to reload like 2-3 times a day? Right now it seems like I'm reloading 6 times a day.....
My freestander is different than your insert, but both cat, and both the same size. I find it's time for a mandatory reload when the stovetop temp falls below 300F, and opening the air wide doesn't push it any higher. You will be down to coals, but they'll be bright coals sometimes the size of your fist. If I stuff the box full, this can be 12 hours or more, but I usually try to size my load for when I want to reload next. For example, I want to go to bed about 5 hours after I get home from work, which means reloading 4 hours after I get home, so my after-work load is usually only 3 splits. Burn rate in my stove is roughly one split per two hours, and the extra split just guarantees a quick bedtime reload.

If you get down to golf-ball sized coals, you've missed the window for a real easy reload, but you'll still be able to get'er going again with some smaller splits and some air.

2. One of the observations that I have so far in my burning is that this stove seems to be an EW loader and can take like a 23" split. All my wood is 16"-18" so I can't really load it up and jam it up. I have gaps on the sides. Is it worth it to cut wood from now on to 23"?
Same trouble I had my first year or two. Yes, cutting 23" would allow you to fit 44% more wood in the box than 16", however I don't recommend going right to 23". Do yourself a favor and cut a few splits to different lengths, and figure out the longest split that's still easy to get thru the doors. You'll probably find that you can easily do 21" splits on bottom, but maybe only 19" for the last few up top, if you have to angle them thru the doors. Whatever it is, make yourself up a marking stick or two, to take into the woods with you when you go cutting. I use my top handle saw with a 1x3 furring strip cut to 20" to go along and mark every log before I start bucking, which makes quick work of it. Others do the same using a tape measure and chalk or spray paint. Whatever works for you, it does pay to get all of your splits the same length for optimum stacking and firebox utilization.

3. What is a reasonable burn rate? I've went through 3 face cords (4'x8' at 16-18" deep) in about 6 weeks. So I'm at about 2 face cords a month? I live in upstate ny and have been burning 24/7. Does this seem like I'm going through wood too fast?
Face cord means nothing. If your splits are 17" on average, then you went thru just over one cord (1.0625 cords, by my math) in 6 weeks, which is not bad, depending on what species your burning. Two years ago, I went thru that amount in only 8 days, but I was burning Poplar and running two stoves.

One thing many of us do on reloads is to shovel your coals under, which knocks the dead stuff down into the ash pan (assuming you have a bottom grate with ash pan) and then pull the live coals forward. Since your fresh air usually comes down from above the front door into the front of the firebox, this serves to re-invigorate your coals, to burn them down and also light off the next load. I'm usually working thru a top-load door, so I actually rake the coals up onto the front doors / glass. Working thru the front door of an E/W insert, you can still do this, just not as drastically as a top-load or side-load stover can.

Status
Not open for further replies.