Looking to install a mini split...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So, you're saying buy a name-brand unit (not the DIY type), and have a pro install it ? I'd at least do the electric myself.
That Samsung "windless" thing sounds great.
Most name brands warranty goes through installer. Not sure how that works for one purchased online. I’m in a similar situation. But I can probably install 2 MR cool diy units for the cost of one name brand. I am looking to the dual head MR cool units. The only downside other than their quality is the mr cool units don’t turn down as Mitsubishi units. I want my basement unit for dehumidification in the summer and the basement is already cold enough (compared to upstairs).

really you just need a vacuum pump and a micron gauge with a valve fitting (I think I saw the fitting on YouTube) If you installed at least two units the I bet you could pay for the equipment. Now if you have a leak and need coolant you will have to bring someone out.

I have a Mitsubishi system, including one that I put in the basement mostly for dehumidification purposes.
I told the installers that that was my goal for the basement, and Mitsubishi has a "dehumidification mode", when it runs constantly at low power with the coil slightly cooler than the temp of the room, and without regard for the resulting (cool) room temperature.

I do have to say that I had hoped to be able to shut down my stand alone dehumidifier, but that's not the case. I did *not* make the basement unit too large (you want a constant low running at low power, so an oversized unit is not the best). I still have to run my stand alone dehumidifier as well (that could do the job on its own before). Obviously less, but unfortunately it does need to run (and does use a bucket rather than a pump/drain, so when I'm traveling my basement gets more humid after the dehumidifier bucket is full - and I don't feel like spending a few 100 dollars on a drain unit at this time...). This may simply be because the unit was not optimized for dehumidification, unlike a dehumidifier.

It's a 6000 BTU unit for an 825 sq ft basement.

This is all to say that, yes they (Mitsubishi) can run in a mode that is focused on dehumidification, but I don't think it has an outstanding dehumidification performance - it does not "beat" my stand alone dehumidifier.

Knowing what I know now, I'd much rather put a dehumidifier with a drain in. The only advantage of the minisplit dehum. mode is that it cools rather than heats the basement. But in summer that's not that big of an advantage.

Reactions: EbS-P
yes. from what i understand if the home owner somehow can buy it and install it himself there is no warranty. if a certified buys it say samsung and is certified by samsung warranty stands

Most name brands warranty goes through installer. Not sure how that works for one purchased online. I’m in a similar situation. But I can probably install 2 MR cool diy units for the cost of one name brand. I am looking to the dual head MR cool units. The only downside other than their quality is the mr cool units don’t turn down as Mitsubishi units. I want my basement unit for dehumidification in the summer and the basement is already cold enough (compared to upstairs).

really you just need a vacuum pump and a micron gauge with a valve fitting (I think I saw the fitting on YouTube) If you installed at least two units the I bet you could pay for the equipment. Now if you have a leak and need coolant you will have to bring someone out.
i'm certified with daikin and samsung. it's all in the making of the flair fittings and having the paper that says certified

Reactions: EbS-P
i'm certified with daikin and samsung. it's all in the making of the flair fittings and having the paper that says certified
A good flare is essential. I forgot that tool.