Looking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpee

Jan 8, 2015
NorCal
We'll I am looking at new stoves, I have an Orley now had a Earth stove in 1977 till around a
1986. The Orley is great in that it don't care what you throw in it , T nite I put in a couple of chunks do white oak shut the drafts and in the morning open drafts put in kind eland an away it goes.
I am thinking about a cast iron stove and the two dealers we have in Fort Bragg Calif (the first Fort Bragg ) carry Hampton/Regency, Jotul, Hearthstone,lopi, qiuadrafire, kuma , and Sierra. So, the Hearthstone Shelburne , Hampton H300,Jotul f 400 are what I am looking at . Now Hampton/Regency is offering a $ 600 rebate and if the fed is still doing the $300 tax credit that would help out a lot.
The house is around 1300 feet two story and the Orley is at the stairwell. The pipe is a straight shot for 24 feet . I don't know anything about the "new" stoves cat non cat just that they burn longer on a given load of wood.

That old Orley must be driving you out of the place. It was hungry but strong heater. Basically a barrel stove with a window. You are looking at mostly radiant stoves like the Orley. The will need larger clearances, but all are good stoves. The Hampton H300 is a nicely made unit. Your climate is mild, just cool and damp when it's foggy right? What temp do you like to keep the house? Alternatively I'd suggest considering the Quadrafire Frontier II or a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. The PE is sold in Willits.

That old Orley must be driving you out of the place. It was hungry but strong heater. Basically a barrel stove with a window. You are looking at mostly radiant stoves like the Orley. The will need larger clearances, but all are good stoves. The Hampton H300 is a nicely made unit. Your climate is mild, just cool and damp when it's foggy right? What temp do you like to keep the house? Alternatively I'd suggest considering the Quadrafire Frontier II or a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. The PE is sold in Willits.

We can get down to 25 deg. I look at the firebox in the Orley and wonder if I need one as big . Some list as heating a room and some say house. I did hurt the Orley one time when I started it and went outside for a while with both drafts open and when I came back in the whole end was cherry red, I kicked the air off , and let it go out.

The Orley is seriously oversized for your sq ftg and location. You don't need to come even close to it in size. A 2 cu ft will work well in your climate zone.

Bring a timer with you when you start a stove and walk away for a short time. It will save you a change of underwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.