Loose stove pipe connector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EastNL

Jan 12, 2017
East Coast, Newfoundlan
Hello everyone, I'm having an issues with my selkirk chimney and looking for a little advice. The stove pipe adaptor is loose and is sliding up and down on the end of the insulated chimney. I can just look up through the space around the adaptor and the ceiling support and see that the retaining ring seems to have unseated.

I'm hoping that I can snap that ring back in place through that space, but my biggest worry is that it will pop out again. I guessing that sweeping the chimney is what may have popped it out in the first place.

The retaining ring is all that keeps that adaptor in place. Is there any harm in fastening the adaptor to the insulated chimney from the inside? I know this is an odd way to do it but going the other way is a bigger job.

Thanks

Daniel

You talking about the stainless steel ring that mates the ceiling support box / class a chimney to the black pipe?

That's right. I was at this today and somehow the ring ended up above the adaptor so it wasn't doing anything. The ceiling box doesn't allow access to this area nor an I get the adaptor out of the ceiling box without disassembling the chimney from above.
I ended up screwing it on from the inside. Not sure if there's any potential issues with this