Lopi Answer wood stove firebox question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Massburner

Dec 9, 2021
Massachusetts
Thought I would throw this out here while I wait to hear back from Travis industries. Replaced my old stove with a new Lopi answer nex gen. I never had any pull issues with my Vermont castings as far as start up draft, I burned one break in fire yesterday and it didn’t seem to be pulling well at all. Question is I remembered a layered piece of fabric on top of the fire box visible from the flue collar while the pipe was not connected. Figured that was a high heat filter fabric of some sort, from what I can see looking up inside the fire box it isn’t melting, still feels intact. Does anyone know if it should be or could be removed wondering if that is choking out the draft?

Ceramic fiber blanket? Page 38 in owner's manual. Is it set up like the diagram?

The blanket should lay flat across the top of the baffle, its used to keep the underside of the baffle hot for secondary re-burn (I assume faster secondary's start time) If its installed properly, the blanket should have no effect on draft.
Check and make sure your chimney cap isnt plugged from the previous season, also keep in mind, draft is weaker when temps are mid 40's and higher.

The blanket should lay flat across the top of the baffle, its used to keep the underside of the baffle hot for secondary re-burn (I assume faster secondary's start time) If its installed properly, the blanket should have no effect on draft.
Check and make sure your chimney cap isnt plugged from the previous season, also keep in mind, draft is weaker when temps are mid 40's and higher.
Thank you yes I found the diagram and it is installed properly. Pipe all clear, I will keep playing with the draft, must be the temps, appreciate the feedback

Good observation about better draft when colder.

Where in MA are you? I am metrowest Boston. I don't have fires until the forecast highs are routinely in the 50s. Won't start this week. Maybe the following week, looking at the 10-day forecast.

I have the previous Answer. Like it a lot. Great for my needs. Where is there a Lopi dealer here? The shop in my town closed or moved.

Last edited:
I just checked the Lopi web site. Lots more listings than a few years ago. Good to see.

Good observation about better draft when colder.

Where in MA are you? I am metrowest Boston. I don't have fires until the forecast highs are routinely in the 50s. Won't start this week. Maybe the following week, looking at the 10-day forecast.

I have the previous Answer. Like it a lot. Great for my needs. Where is there a Lopi dealer here. The shop in my town closed or moved.
I’m all the way west, we’ve already had a couple nights below zero. Thanks everyone

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Make sure the insulation blanket is laying flat. They can bunch up sometimes during shipping, especially if the stove is laid on its back.

How is the stove connected? Straight-up and through the roof or out the wall to a tee? How tall is the flue system from stovetop to chimney cap?

Reactions: VintageGal
Make sure the insulation blanket is laying flat. They can bunch up sometimes during shipping, especially if the stove is laid on its back.

How is the stove connected? Straight-up and through the roof or out the wall to a tee? How tall is the flue system from stovetop to chimney cap?
It is strait up through the roof with a 45 within. I’ve never had a problem with my other stove however that stove vented pulling the air up and back, this stove pulls the air forward toward the door and up, just gotta okay with it I think.

The 45º offset will introduce a bit of draft resistance. How tall is the flue system? The Answer needs at least 15', maybe a bit more due to the offset.

It's a different stove. Different stoves breathe differently. If it was an old VC it would work on a 12' chimney. Many Canadian stoves also will work on a shorter flue system, but not all. The Lopi has a longer secondary air passage system that preheats the air before the tubes. It needs at least 15', more if there are elbows. FWIW, 15 or 16' is a common requirement for modern stoves including the new VC stoves.

How tall is the flue system?

Reactions: VintageGal
It's a different stove. Different stoves breathe differently. If it was an old VC it would work on a 12' chimney. Many Canadian stoves also will work on a shorter flue system, but not all. The Lopi has a longer secondary air passage system that preheats the air before the tubes. It needs at least 15', more if there are elbows. FWIW, 15 or 16' is a common requirement for modern stoves including the new VC stoves.

How tall is the flue system?
My interior pipe is 7 feet, the space through the attic is 7 feet and it’s a 12-15 foot stack on top of my roof. My VT stove was a newer 2012 and the interior fire box disintegrated, so rather than replace it for half the cost of a new stove, I replaced the stove.

That should do the trick if it's all 6". 12-15' outdoors is not helping much until it's warmed up. Has it been cleaned, including the cap, this summer? If the cap has a screen, that might be the issue.

I bought a Lopi Answer last March. I have to open the back door or a window to get my stove to draft properly. I never had that problem with my last stove.