Lopi Cape Cod smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SP77

Oct 22, 2019
Naples, Idaho
I installed a Cape cod in my 2500 sf home about a month ago. As far as heating I have no complaints. I think it could handle an even bigger house without problems.

I’m having one issue. Sometimes when I close the bypass for the catalytic converter, smoke comes out from the hole for the pull rod. It’s not every time, just about half the time. And it just started a few days ago. I’m wondering, could this mean the converter needs to be cleaned?

Is it just a “poof” of smoke or does it keep coming out?

If just a poof, it could be a momentary pressurization in the wrong spot by where the rod penetrates the stove body. And maybe there was a gasket there that has fallen out. Just guessing.

One of the regulars on here had a cape cod I believe and will likely chime in too.

Perhaps you need to let the stove get hotter before you shut the bypass? At what point are you shutting the bypass? The cat is easy to see, is there ash built up on the face of it?

Is it just a “poof” of smoke or does it keep coming out?

If just a poof, it could be a momentary pressurization in the wrong spot by where the rod penetrates the stove body. And maybe there was a gasket there that has fallen out. Just guessing.

One of the regulars on here had a cape cod I believe and will likely chime in too.
No, it’s constant when it happens. Filled the whole house with smoke a couple times.

Perhaps you need to let the stove get hotter before you shut the bypass? At what point are you shutting the bypass? The cat is easy to see, is there ash built up on the face of it?
I’ve pretty much had the stove running non stop since I installed it. I open the bypass when I’m reloading, and leave it open for a while until I have a healthy fire going, usually 20-30 minutes. I did let the fire go out this morning and looks like there’s quite a bit of ash buildup on the face of the converter. Can I just vacuum the front, or do I need to remove it to clean properly?

No, don’t remove it. The insert came with a little brush, use it and a shop vac. Make sure you shop vac has a filter bag in it though.

No, don’t remove it. The insert came with a little brush, use it and a shop vac. Make sure you shop vac has a filter bag in it though.
I have a free standing stove, not an insert. I cleaned out the converter, it was plugged with ash. It made a huge difference, no more smoke. Thanks for your advice.

Now I have a new problem. No matter what I try, I can’t get the fire choked down sufficiently. Even with large round Tamarack logs and the air control closed all the way. It will only last maybe 4 hours. Huge flames even with air closed. I’m assuming I need to install a damper in the stove pipe? I think the converter was plugged up from day 1, helping with choking the air intake. I burned a large amount of cardboard to get the first fire started, as I didn’t have any kindling or starter bricks. Any thoughts on ways to choke it down? Besides installing a damper?

I knew it was a stove, I don’t know why I said insert. Lay off of the cardboard, it’s really bad for the catalyst.
Have you checked your gasket by closing a dollar bill in it?

Close a bill in the door and see if you can pull it out. Try all the way around, the bill can slip, but you are looking for good resistance on it. Obviously only do this when the stove is cold.

Last edited:
I moved the striker for the door a little tighter. And I cleaned out the ash pan tracks and made sure it’s closing tight. So far it seems like things are improved, better air seal. Thank you both!

Reactions: webby3650