Lopi Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HappyHodag

Aug 24, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi All - I've really enjoyed reading this forum and thought I'd tap into your knowledge before I pull the trigger on a new stove. A bit about my situation - I'm in northern Wisconsin, wood is our primary heat, we burn 4-5 full cords of oak per year, approximately 3000 sqft, well insulated house, 2 story open floor plan with open stair case to get the heat to the second floor. I have a 20 year old VC Defiant that is in need of a rebuild. I decided it was better to replace it. We prefer the look of a cast iron stove, so steel models are out.

I've looked at a number of stoves and spoken with several dealers. I've narrowed it down to a Lopi Cape Cod or BK Ashford 30. I've now had 3 dealers who sell both brands recommend the Lopi over the BK. All have said they believe the Lopi will do a better job heating a larger space. I'm more interested in heat output than long burn times. Winters are cold here and we need significant heat to keep up. As long as the stove will go overnight, I'm good. I don't have much need for a 24+ hour burn at low output.

I've seen several older threads, primarily from the first year or two after the cape cod came out, suggesting durability issues with the stove. The dealers I've spoken with all speak highly of the cape cod, say the issues have been addressed, and that their customers haven't had problems. Does anyone have more recent experience with this stove? Have the issues with the baffle/castings/glass been addressed? Also, I have an 8 inch stainless chimney pipe, straight shot, 35 feet. Both stoves are 6 inch models - will a 6 inch pipe connected to an 8 inch adapter at the ceiling above the stove provide adequate performance? I don't want to replace the chimney as its only 5 years old.

Thanks for your advice! This is hopefully a 20+ year investment and I want to make sure I get it right!

Welcome. I'm wondering if you need a cat stove considering the requirements. I would also look at large, cast iron clad, non-cats like the Quadrafire Explorer III, Jotul F55 and the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6.

Reactions: Highbeam and rdust
Well going by, you have a well insulated house, if you old stove was doing a good job keeping your place warm, I think the ashford can do the job with no problem. But it is not advertised for 3000 sq ft.
Remember that the 24+ hrs is user choice, based that possibly the heat demand requirement allows for that. But if you want you can burn hot like any other stoves and get massive amount of heat. The low burn is an ability that the stove has with just a turn of a dial. I am sure Begreen give you some good choices to look into it. I am sure many will jump in and give you more choices based on their experience. Lot of choices out there.lol
Good luck.

Welcome. I'm wondering if you need a cat stove considering the requirements. I would also look at large, cast iron clad, non-cats like the Quadrafire Explorer III, Jotul F55 and the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6.
I looked at the Quadrafire and Jotul but decided against them due to lower listed efficiency. Haven't explored the Pacific Energy. We have a dealer who showed me the PE Summit, he never mentioned the Alderlea. When I said we'd prefer cast he suggested a new VC. I've run a cat with our defiant with fairly good success. I saw the hybrid design of the cape cod as maybe a best of both scenario with the secondary tubes and cat. I like the look, efficiency and emissions of the cape cod.....but only if it isn't going to cause me problems down the line. I'd also like to try a convective design, we need to move the heat a pretty good distance and I've been told a convective stove will help. I'll give the Alderlea a look, maybe it is another one to add to the mix. Thanks!

Efficiency is important, but it is only one metric is choosing a stove, especially as a 20+yr investment. Ease of use, capacity, durability, construction, flexibility, aesthetics, maintainability, operational costs, etc. are some other factors to take into consideration for a long term purchase.

Efficiency is important, but it is only one metric is choosing a stove, especially as a 20+yr investment. Ease of use, capacity, durability, construction, flexibility, aesthetics, maintainability, operational costs, etc. are some other factors to take into consideration for a long term purchase.

I couldn't agree more. This is why I'm leaning toward the steel box, cast overlay models. Our VC has leaked air at the seams and we can't seem to get it fixed. As I understand it this is solved by the steel box design. This design should improve durability and maintenance needs. The cast gives us the aesthetic we want. A 3ft box should give us the capacity we need. If a stove can throw out a good bit of heat, be reasonably efficient with the wood and be reliable without constant need for repairs I'll be happy with it.

I've been given 2 different answers on the design of the cape cod. Do you know if it is a full cast stove or if it is a steel box with a cast wrap over the top?

I really like the PE's simplicity. Seems like not much could go wrong with it. I try to live by the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy on these things. The complexity of the Lopi has me nervous, one reason I am looking for some feedback on it.

You have me intrigued by the T6. I called a local dealer, they have a T5 and a summit on the floor. I'm going to head over there to see the design of the T5 and the build of the summit, I figure that should give me a good idea on what the T6 has to offer. I may stop by a Quadrafire and Jotul dealer while I'm at it. Thanks again for the leads!

I couldn't agree more. This is why I'm leaning toward the steel box, cast overlay models. Our VC has leaked air at the seams and we can't seem to get it fixed. As I understand it this is solved by the steel box design. This design should improve durability and maintenance needs. The cast gives us the aesthetic we want. A 3ft box should give us the capacity we need. If a stove can throw out a good bit of heat, be reasonably efficient with the wood and be reliable without constant need for repairs I'll be happy with it.

I've been given 2 different answers on the design of the cape cod. Do you know if it is a full cast stove or if it is a steel box with a cast wrap over the top?

I really like the PE's simplicity. Seems like not much could go wrong with it. I try to live by the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy on these things. The complexity of the Lopi has me nervous, one reason I am looking for some feedback on it.

You have me intrigued by the T6. I called a local dealer, they have a T5 and a summit on the floor. I'm going to head over there to see the design of the T5 and the build of the summit, I figure that should give me a good idea on what the T6 has to offer. I may stop by a Quadrafire and Jotul dealer while I'm at it. Thanks again for the leads!
The cape cod is a cast iron stove. If you remove the rear firebricks you will be looking at cast iron. The new Rockport however, has a steel firebox with a cast iron jacket.

Sounds like the big cast/steel jacketed stoves would be the good choice for you. I'd look at the T6 too, she is a pretty stove. Efficiency ratings are all relative to each company's claim. The plain simple truth is big stove, big firebox equals big heat output for you. They all will do this provided you give the stove a good chimney to draw and you provide good dry seasoned wood. Good firewood will make a medium sized stove think its a big boy. Lot of good choices out there. Good luck.

Reactions: webby3650
I've looked at a number of stoves and spoken with several dealers. I've narrowed it down to a Lopi Cape Cod or BK Ashford 30. I've now had 3 dealers who sell both brands recommend the Lopi over the BK.

It's amazing how little most dealers know about the products they sell. I've looked in depth at both of these stoves, and there is absolutely no comparison. I almost wonder if your dealers are making their recommendation entirely based on profit margin, or just innocent ignorance. The Cape Cod is a pretty stove, but not a serious heater for a 24/7 burner, not when compared to the Ashford 30.

The cape cod is a cast iron stove. If you remove the rear firebricks you will be looking at cast iron. The new Rockport however, has a steel firebox with a cast iron jacket.
Thanks Webby. It looks like you had a real bad experience with an early model. Do you know if they have altered the design in any way to deal with those issues? Are most people still having problems or has reliability improved? The dealers I've spoken to rave about the stove and say its been modified to fix the problems, but I'm struggling to find customer experiences that match up.

Thanks Webby. It looks like you had a real bad experience with an early model. Do you know if they have altered the design in any way to deal with those issues? Are most people still having problems or has reliability improved? The dealers I've spoken to rave about the stove and say its been modified to fix the problems, but I'm struggling to find customer experiences that match up.
Lopi will always claim they've fixed the problem, no matter the model...
Which is interesting, they would never once admit that there ever was an issue. I even spoke with the engineers of the cape cod!
I do know that the early cods were Chinese Castings, now they are cast in Germany. At the Morso foundry I believe. The Rockport has a lot of upgrades that the cape cod should have but does not. Steel firebox, sturdy baffle, just to name a few. We no longer carry the cape cod, so I can't give you a picture comparison.

Reactions: Ashful
It's amazing how little most dealers know about the products they sell. I've looked in depth at both of these stoves, and there is absolutely no comparison. I almost wonder if your dealers are making their recommendation entirely based on profit margin, or just innocent ignorance. The Cape Cod is a pretty stove, but not a serious heater for a 24/7 burner, not when compared to the Ashford 30.
It makes serious heat! But you are correct, it's not for serious round the clock burners. The shape of the firebox made it difficult to use. Sure it's 3 cubic feet, but only about 2 cubic feet were usable. You either need 24" logs, or to cut your wood down to 9", otherwise with normal sized firewood you were only using 2/3 of the firebox.

I do know that the early cods were Chinese Castings, now they are cast in Germany. At the Morso foundry I believe.
Interesting, it would be nice to know if this has improved the stoves reliability. FWIW, I think Morso's foundry is still in Denmark. If Germany I am wondering if they are using the Olsberg foundry? I've only seen one of their stoves, but the casting was quite nice.

It makes serious heat! But you are correct, it's not for serious round the clock burners. The shape of the firebox made it difficult to use. Sure it's 3 cubic feet, but only about 2 cubic feet were usable. You either need 24" logs, or to cut your wood down to 9", otherwise with normal sized firewood you were only using 2/3 of the firebox.
That's the problem with many shallow fireboxes. It's hard to pack them so that the wood doesn't fall against the glass.

Interesting, it would be nice to know if this has improved the stoves reliability. FWIW, I think Morso's foundry is still in Denmark. If Germany I am wondering if they are using the Olsberg foundry? I've only seen one of their stoves, but the casting was quite nice.
I think it was Germany? Somewhere in Europe anyway.
Before the move if you asked a Lopi rep where they were cast, they never could answer for sure. Now they are quick to point out that they are cast in Europe.

I checked out the PE line today. I'm impressed. I looked at an Alderlea T5 and a Summit. The firebox on the summit seems big enough to get us through the night. I like the construction and simplicity of the stoves, it looks like a stove that will give years of hassle free operation. The cast panels on the Alderlea should provide good convective action to help us move the heat. Sounds like it can put out some serious BTUs which we need. And the dealer is a company I've worked with before and had nothing but great experiences with. The T6 looks like it might be a good 24/7 heater in my house. As a bonus, it has the option of door swing in either direction so i can get a right side latch which is much better for my setup. I didn't pull the trigger on the T6 yet, but I'm awfully close to doing it!

Given my chimney setup (8 inch class A, 35 foot straight shot) the dealer recommended the addition of a damper on the pipe above the stove. He said my chimney may be prone to over drafting with this stove. He said the damper would provide a safety mechanism to reduce draft in case of over fire. The damper he suggested goes from wide open down to a minimum of 20% open. Sounds like I would just leave it wide open and only use it if needed to keep things at a safe temp. Seems like a smart move to have in case I do get into an over drafting situation. Does anyone have experience with a set up like this? Would I put it directly at the stove junction, or further up the connector pipe? Any reason not to add it?

Thanks for all your help everyone. This forum is an awesome resource. It is great to be able to tap into a number of different experiences to help make these decisions!

No harm in adding the damper and using it as described. The other concern might be excessive cooling of flue gases in the long run of pipe. Burn fully seasoned, dry wood to keep issues at a minimum.

Lots here run those dampers. If you want to get scientific about it, or you're a beginner, you can rig up a cheap manometer and drive it by that (find damper clocking that yields ideal draft, per your user manual), but most just go by the seat of their pants. Thirty five feet of straight 8" pipe is substantial. What is the construction?

Have you looked at big stoves? Since you have an 8" chimney, a big home in a cold climate, I'd consider it. Blaze King-King, Kuma Sequoia would be worth a look. These big stoves will have the firepower to heat your home no matter how cold it gets. Long burn times would be nice too. I know you said it wasn't important to you, but scratching around trying to find a few coals is no fun. The BK would still have wood left in the morning!

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
Lots here run those dampers. If you want to get scientific about it, or you're a beginner, you can rig up a cheap manometer and drive it by that (find damper clocking that yields ideal draft, per your user manual), but most just go by the seat of their pants. Thirty five feet of straight 8" pipe is substantial. What is the construction?
Its a stainless double walled pipe, IPC is the brand. Installed 5 years ago after finding a major issue with the prior chimney.

No harm in adding the damper and using it as described. The other concern might be excessive cooling of flue gases in the long run of pipe. Burn fully seasoned, dry wood to keep issues at a minimum.
We've had some creasote issues with our current stove, especially when we get the real cold nights in the middle of winter, negative 20 isn't uncommon. I have the chimney swept every year to make sure we stay on top of it. I've got 15 full cords of oak split last year, I should be good to go for a couple years!

Have you looked at big stoves? Since you have an 8" chimney, a big home in a cold climate, I'd consider it. Blaze King-King, Kuma Sequoia would be worth a look. These big stoves will have the firepower to heat your home no matter how cold it gets. Long burn times would be nice too. I know you said it wasn't important to you, but scratching around trying to find a few coals is no fun. The BK would still have wood left in the morning!
I looked at the king and think its a great stove. I'm not opposed to the long burn times, but don't mind loading the stove 2-3 times a day. I usually load first thing in the morning, half load when I get home from work, stock it full when I go to bed. A consistent 12 hour burn will meet my needs, but more would be ok too! The VC defiant has performed well enough for us from a heat output standpoint, but has way too many maintenance issues. I'd love to try a king, but the head designer in the house would prefer the look of a cast stove. When is BK going to come out with an Ashford 40 built around the King firebox? I bet they'd sell a bunch of those!

I'd prefer the performance of steel after my VC experience, but with a cast overlay to meet the looks requirements. Seems like the PE T6, BK Ashford 30 and Jotul F55 are the biggest ones out there in the cast over steel category. Am I missing any? Thanks to the info I've received here, I think the cape cod is off the list - I had been told it was a steel firebox with cast overlay, apparently it is not.

If looks are important, check out Enviro's cast Boston model, its a jacketed stove too. The 1700 version is 2.5 cuft, not quite the same heater as some of the others, but a pretty stove. I run the steel sister, great burn engine. The bad? The price, their cast products are quite costly. As much as I like them, I think the T6 and Jotuls are better values for the money spent. Good luck.

The Quadrafire Explorer III is also a large, cast iron, jacketed stove.

The Quadrafire Explorer III is also a large, cast iron, jacketed stove.
I stopped by a quadrafire dealer yesterday, they told me it is pure cast, not jacketed. I see now from their website, and thanks to your post, that it is actually cast over steel. Ashful's comment above about dealers not knowing their products is spot on! The great PE dealer in my area may just push me over the edge to the T6. Having a good qualified dealer to install and service the stove would be preferable to a dealer who doesn't even know how the stove is made!

Reactions: bcrtops
If looks are important, check out Enviro's cast Boston model, its a jacketed stove too. The 1700 version is 2.5 cuft, not quite the same heater as some of the others, but a pretty stove. I run the steel sister, great burn engine. The bad? The price, their cast products are quite costly. As much as I like them, I think the T6 and Jotuls are better values for the money spent. Good luck.
That is a pretty stove! I see they have a bigger model, but only in steel. I don't think the 2.5 box will be quite big enough for us. I wonder why they don't make the bigger one in a jacketed version?