Lopi Evergreen, smoke smell with AC on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fransles

Jun 26, 2022
Massachusetts
I am hoping you can help me…We just had Lopi Evergreen Insert installed…we had a cool enough night to cure paint. Now that we are using air conditioning …there is a pull of air down the flue into the stove, and through the bottom of the stove where the burn rate adjuster is and into the home. All we can smell is ash, making me sick with headaches, and difficulty breathing. From what I understand this is negative pressure but with burn rate completely closed it does not seem right that so much air is getting through. Is this a defect with my new stove…anyone else having issues with this? For now we stuck a towel to block flow of air and open a window to combat negative pressure but still get slight smell. Help.

The air control for the stove never closes off fully, that is not a defect. The air conditioner is creating negative pressure in the room. Is this a whole-house AC or a window or portable unit? If it is a ducted, whole-house AC system, is there a large return in the room?

The air control for the stove never closes off fully, that is not a defect. The air conditioner is creating negative pressure in the room. Is this a whole-house AC or a window or portable unit? If it is a ducted, whole-house AC system, is there a large return in the room?
It is a portable air conditioner, same issue with dryer, etc.

Negative room air pressure is a common issue with portable air conditioners using a single hose outlet.
It sounds like the area may be already close to negative pressure. In the winter this reverses when outside temps are colder than the indoor temperature. Is this a basement room?

Negative room air pressure is a common issue with portable air conditioners using a single hose outlet.
It sounds like the area may be already close to negative pressure. In the winter this reverses when outside temps are colder than the indoor temperature. Is this a basement room?
No, it is the ground floor. I guess I will have to vacuum all the ashes out, plug hole with towel for summer and think about putting in a vent with flapper. Hopefully that will keep me from getting sick. Thank you for your help.

an out side air source will solve that problem

They make two-hose portable AC that address this issue too.