Lopi / FX face plates: is one more efficient than the other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frecklesphd

Feb 15, 2021
CO
Newbie here, grateful for all the wisdom on this site as we prepare to purchase our first insert. I'm considering a Large Flush Wood Hybrid-Fyre (last year's cat model to take advantage of the tax credit) and I found one but it has the Shadowbox faceplate. Another dealer told me the Times Square is better because of the vents. Is this true? Any advice would be appreciated. Here are pics for reference - the first is the Shadowbox and the second is the Times Square. I also don't know if they are inter-changeable, I plan to ask the dealer, who I fear may not tell me the truth, or call Travis.

1615044338907.png1615044376159.png

Reactions: JonH
Yes, if the goal is to heat with the insert then the convection vent on front will help. They appear to have dropped the shadowbox. It doesn't look like a hot idea.

Reactions: frecklesphd
The faces are interchangeable and will not make any difference in efficiency.

I spoke to someone at Travis Industries who said the vent on the Times Square face plate "does allow for a bit more airflow."
A bit? That’s just personal opinion. They told you what you wanted to hear. He’s a salesman!