Lopi large flush wood insert wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slashxx

Aug 22, 2023
New Jersey
Hi all,

I am getting ready to install a Lopi large flush insert, and trying to figure out the electrical wiring. Has anyone done hidden wiring for this? Looking to drop the wire down through the ash dump. Mine is in the middle of the fireplace, so not sure if this would be an issue, since instruction says not to route the wire underneath. Also do I need to seal the ash dump? Do I need to get the Lopi hi-temp wood insert wiring kit?

Thanks in advance!

We too have the same questions and would enjoy reading some comments.

We have the choice of routing wire through the ash dump in the rear center of the fire box floor or through an air passage at the left front of the fire box floor. I think the air passage is a better choice for us because the ash dump will be partially covered by the appliance and the door to access the dumped ashes is near the floor in the basement. The air passage is short and emerges near the ceiling in the basement.

The installer has offered Lopi's hard wire installation kit. The kit has the proper connector and pass through to attach to the appliance as well as 10 feet of what looks like metal clad cable. It looks like it replaces the power plug that comes installed on the insert. Like everything else, it seems pricey for what it is: cable, connector, stress relief, and small plate.

Is there a required or recommended practice for plating and sealing where the cable exits the fire box, either through the ash dump or an air passage? Should we expect to find suitable plates or other application specific products in the market? Does good practice require that these doors be fixed shut and sealed or replaced with sealed plates before the insert is installed? The existing ash dump measures about 10" x 5-1/2" while the face frame for the air passage door measures about 10" x 7".

I am thinking of replacing the ash dump with a custom cut galvanized plate sealed in place with RTV. Likewise, I might replace the air passage door with a similar sealed plate but having a hole with strain relief to pass the metal clad cable through to a junction box in the basement.

The installer who was on site to scope the job commented that most customers just run an extension cord through the ash dump. Since we indicated we wanted to hard wire the unit, the written quote indicates that the customer must hire an electrician to do the wiring. Other than selling the kit, I do not think the installer wants nor is he likely permitted to take any part of the electrical work.