Lopi Large Hybrid insert -what temp to bypass cat when fire going out/cooling down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRV

Mar 10, 2018
CT
Hey guys, complete noob here so bare with me. I live in CT and have a 4500 sq ft home and am trying to use the oil furnace less for heat. So I just had a Lopi Large Hybrid insert installed into my mason fireplace. I have a few questions for you seasoned folks:

1. I run the cat up to about 1200 F and use kiln-dried wood so I try not to load too much so I don't run too hot, risking overfire...again I am noob so dont want to destroy it or have a chimney fire. Is that a good temp to peak for the cat? Should i run lower?
2. On cool down, when should I bypass the cat? At this time, I have been refilling around 300 degrees and will then bypass it for refill, then get it back to temp before engaging. Should I bypass around 200, 400?
3. For people who rely solely on wood stoves, do you try to run daily during the season? Can that be done with an insert without risking reliability?

We are happy with it so far but has been a learning curve compared to the open fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 215
You must have the catalyst temp probe on yours, didn't have that on my fpx version. 1200F is fine, I would probably try to keep it under 1800F. These units are designed for 24/7 heating, but be careful not to let flames go directly into the cat. I would leave the bypass closed until you are ready to reload, then just let the new logs catch and close the bypass pretty quickly. This will allow for a slower ramping up of your fire and hopefully less flames going into the cat. Hope this helps, enjoy your beautiful insert!

You must have the catalyst temp probe on yours, didn't have that on my fpx version. 1200F is fine, I would probably try to keep it under 1800F. These units are designed for 24/7 heating, but be careful not to let flames go directly into the cat. I would leave the bypass closed until you are ready to reload, then just let the new logs catch and close the bypass pretty quickly. This will allow for a slower ramping up of your fire and hopefully less flames going into the cat. Hope this helps, enjoy your beautiful insert!

Yes it has that catalyst monitor. TBH I had no idea it had one until the installer explained to me how to work it...like I said complete noob I just asked for a good American made insert that fills the gap and heats up the 1st and 2nd floor. My wife enjoys the warmth from it, a far cry from me always policing the thermostat.
As for the flames on the cat, I will try to keep the height of the stack no higher than the top of the bricks. Only issue I have now is that I can only get about 6 hours of heat from it before I reload..and that’s with me arranging the coals into a ball in the middle trying to extend the heat time of what just burned. It’s better than the open fireplace but I was under the impression it’s a good 8-12 hours. Someone mentioned the wood maybe burning too fast. Thanks for the tip Sailrmike! We are definitely enjoying the new found warmth, not to mention I find it fun to stack the wood, the loading , firing it up and watching it! There seems to be a technique behind it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it has that catalyst monitor. TBH I had no idea it had one until the installer explained to me how to work it...like I said complete noob I just asked for a good American made insert that fills the gap and heats up the 1st and 2nd floor. My wife enjoys the warmth from it, a far cry from me always policing the thermostat.
As for the flames on the cat, I will try to keep the height of the stack no higher than the top of the bricks. Only issue I have now is that I can only get about 6 hours of heat from it before I reload..and that’s with me arranging the coals into a ball in the middle trying to extend the heat time of what just burned. It’s better than the open fireplace but I was under the impression it’s a good 8-12 hours. Someone mentioned the wood maybe burning too fast. Thanks for the tip Sailrmike! We are definitely enjoying the new found warmth, not to mention I find it fun to stack the wood, the loading , firing it up and watching it! There seems to be a technique behind it all.

You're doing pretty well with six hours of usable heat from that unit. It's tough to load enough wood in there to get the longer burn times. My issue was a 30' chimney and wind exposure that accelerated draft through the insert- what is your chimney height?

You're doing pretty well with six hours of usable heat from that unit. It's tough to load enough wood in there to get the longer burn times. My issue was a 30' chimney and wind exposure that accelerated draft through the insert- what is your chimney height?

A bit shorter than yours about 25 ft and I do get a good draft according to the installer. It burns pretty fast unless I choke the air out all the way but then I get a bit of haze and a bit of browning on the sides. I have to keep the air low to mid. Which FPX do you have and how much area are you heating?

Installed the FPX Large Flush Hybrid in a previous home, 3,000 sq ft center chimney, 2 story living room. It did a great job with the large volume of space to heat, but the overnight fires were difficult to master. Ask your dealer if it's ok to mix in some bio bricks to the bottom of your fire, and a couple of large logs on top of that.

Installed the FPX Large Flush Hybrid in a previous home, 3,000 sq ft center chimney, 2 story living room. It did a great job with the large volume of space to heat, but the overnight fires were difficult to master. Ask your dealer if it's ok to mix in some bio bricks to the bottom of your fire, and a couple of large logs on top of that.

Yea so far after a few nights of trying it’s the same story. Loading around 10 pm and waking up at 6 am it’s pretty much non-existent by wake up time, even though fan is still running. The cat monitor registers around 90F. The boiler is now doing all the work. I will give the dealer a call this week to see what I can do to get things running a bit longer. Maybe I could also try to really fill it and not worry too much about the cat temp.

Glad to read this post.. I'm running the Lopi Large Hybrid that I installed in late October. I see temps on the Thermal probe run right up to 1250 and I'm glad to see this seems within acceptable limits. The stove seems to cruise with my seasoned wood right in the 900-950 range after it's been running for a bit and with the air vent pulled out 9.5/10ths of the way.

On another note, does anyone have a recommendation for a digital display unit that will always show the temperature. I'd like something that I can see from my couch about 12' away..

New this year to wood stove and we also have the Large Flush Hybrid from Travis Industries.

From what I have experienced in the past 2 months, the rheostat for the catalyst I would also LOVE if it could be wireless. I check often after reloading and it's a PIA coming to check it every 15 minutes (even if I am in the room on the couch). I'd expect something wireless or phone app based in 2023 especially when paying $5,000 for a wood stove...

Regarding the combustion chamber/rheostat catalyst temperature, I find ours to get to 1300 Fahrenheit often. We load it up to the top of the brick near the secondary burn tubes (for lack of a more accurate description). The temperature I wonder sometimes if it is accurate when wood is stacked that high. I question it because when I sit for the 1st hour watching the rheostat monitor, it will read 1100, 1200, near 1300. But the second that log pile crumbles (about 1 hour into a morning burn), the temperature on the rheostat drops to 950 Fahrenheit.

Speaking of 950, this stove loves to burn right around there just like the OP said. I find its catalyst is fully engaged around 650 Fahrenheit. Also like the OP said, we reload right around there.

Anyone knows of a wireless option for the rheostat?