lopi leyden ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBest

Oct 2, 2007
Can this stove work with doors open, dealer said that there is no screen available. I am wondering if this stove maybe is not met to work with doors open.
Also does anyone know if the problems listed in Aug 06 have been fix on the current model. ( glass airwash,doors sticking, etc.)

I just bought a leyden, and have burned 5 fires/nights. I cannot really give a "real" review as 5 nights is not really enough to say for sure.
First, I would not want to run the stove with a screen, The fire box is tall but not deep, as you might have read by one reviewer, " the top load is the only way to load this stove" I do not open the doors once I get the coals going.

The first 3 nights I burned the glass went black, like BLACK. the next two, it seemed to stay pretty clean.
I am hoping that drafting in the winter will help, I like to see the fire too.

Doors sticking? not yet, I hadn't read that one. Though, the top loading door seems to have a "catch" half way during closing, I think it is supposed to do that.

My biggest concern with the stove is when I got it home, and pulled out the EPA card from inside the stove and it reads 10,700 to 34,000 btu/hr
One of the reasons for buying the stove was a rating of 73,100 btu/hr (http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=240#Specs) , I sat down in shock, thinking oh boy, what have I done?
I continued going through the stoves paper work and saw a brochure for all Lopi stoves and the BTU/hr rating? try 64,300 !
I may never know the truth or what these numbers mean, though at the end of March I'll be able to tell you if the stove can heat my house, and I guess thats all I really need to know.

I do think that the stove will have a good burn time.
I got the fan unit for the rig, I can't imagine a stove without one now.

Hope this helps.

Can you run the stove with the doors open if you want to watch the fire and don't really need a lot of heat??

I mean what if you want to watch the fire and here it crackal!!

Like I say, the firebox is not very deep, so opening the doors while the fire is going... I just wouldn't feel safe that coals/wood wouldn't fall out.
maybe with a really small fire... but I doubt it.

This is just my opinion.

I think there are some VC's that come with screens (or as a option), and some jotul's have after market screens.

Thanks I am new to this and wanted a VC defiant with a screen but needed a 8" pipe so the cost got to high.
I want heat but would like to hear and feel the fire with doors open maybe i need to look at a different model.

Status
Not open for further replies.