Lopi Pioneer newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rod_munch

Oct 3, 2014
wisconsin
I just bought a used lopi pioneer freestanding stove. From a chimney sweep, for $1500 installed. Its sitting in my living room. Be hooked up later this week.

Im new to this, and just wondering if I did ok, or do I have a 1500 dollar boat anchor? I realize I'll have to clean/maintain this frequently, and use high quality pellets. Anyone use one of these? And are they ok?
I've got a 1400 sq ft house. Oil furnace.

thanks

Several posters on this site speak highly of the Lopi / Avalon brand. Do a search , you'll likely find some positive comments.

Good Luck

I am on my 4th season with my Lopi Pioneer. Quality PNW built, it keeps my 1,330 sq ft house toasty warm. It has been a great little stove. Easy to clean and maintain.

I did replace the burn-pot (erosion) under warranty. At the end of last season I replaced the exhaust fan (bad bearing), which was a simple DIY job.

Does anyone know where I can order the optional gold door trim, for my lopi pioneer freestanding stove?

Ive been using it every day. I burn indeck and lumberjack pellets. It heats my 1200 sq ft house nicely. I live in Wisconsin. So it gets below zero here plenty.

I've had my Pioneer for 3 seasons? I've replaced the door gasket and once a season I clear out the pressure sensor port on the exhaust by twisting an appropriately sized drill bit in the barbed fitting to clear it. Other than that it has run flawlessly. Heats all but the farthest reaches of my 1800sq ft Cape. When it gets down in the teens and stays there I'm pushing the stove hard to keep up but it runs without complaint. As you probably have figured out its not the most sophisticated stove. I run mine off a t-stat and simply set feed and tune the air so that it runs continuous but won't achieve the set temp. What I mean by this is the t-stat is really just a high temp limit switch. I don't like the stove cycling on and off, hard on ignitors, etc. I shutdown every two to three days as there isn't much room for ashes. Sometimes just a quick brush cleaning but I prefer to vac it and clean the glass. Its a good reliable stove that asks for little care. Your house is probably the perfect size for the Pioneer in your climate, for the price I think you did well. If for some reason you cant get a manual I'll photocopy mine for you.

Reactions: rod_munch
My convection blower fan on my Lopi pioneer starts to get a little buzzy/rattley sometimes. I run it on high all the time. That makes it rattle way less. I don't know how to oil the bearings or if that's even possible. . I suppose once a motor starts getting noisy, its on its way out. I assume I can get a new blower motor from a dealer if I need one eventually. I found if I take a screwdriver and gently nudge the blower motor, the noise usually stops for a couple hours.

Also, I recently started trying fleet farm Marth brand pellets. I use the hardwood ones with the red lettering.
Wow they're great. Way less ash. Glass stays clear longer. Bigger flame. As compared to the Indeck and Lumberjack pellets I've always used. Was reluctant to try Marth because of so many bad reviews.

Lastly I have taken the angled end cap thingy off my exaust pipe outside the house. It was making the pipe fill with ash to where it was almost plugged.

One night my CO detector went off. I was convinced it was my door seal. Replaced that. Then discovered my house's WINDOW was open just a hair...letting exaust in. For the love of Pete. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
My blower fan, the convection fan, not the exhaust fan, gets buzzy once in a while. It is caused by dust build up on the fan louvers that throws off the harmonic balance or something. Blow it off with compressed air and it should quiet right down. Have the room vac standing by to get all the dust that will come out of the back of the stove.

Reactions: rod_munch
The convection fan does look dusty. I'll try blowing it off like you say. 2nd winter with my pioneer and I love its simplicity. I bought a new burn pot since the original eroded/cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.