Lopi Republic 1750 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oski

Feb 9, 2014
Upstate NY
Hello everyone! I hope to learn alot from you all ... since im a city dweller turn rural dweller ( 1 year ago).

Anyone have any experience with Lopi Republic 1750? Would love to get some initial pointers, and observations.
I have one coming for installation in 4 days.

Also ... any opinion on locust wood? and how long to season it properly?

Sincerely,
Oski

Lopis are made right here in the St of WA, so they are automatically good. Also, I have no experience with this particular model. Or any other Lopi.

I changed your thread title to something more likely to get you some meaningful information. Welcome to the forums. Rick

Locust wood is one of the best, ideally you want it spit and stacked in your yard for about 1 1/2 years before you burn it, but more importantly, what's your situation for asking your questions?....

Locust wood is one of the best, ideally you want it spit and stacked in your yard for about 1 1/2 years before you burn it, but more importantly, what's your situation for asking your questions?....

My main heat is oil. I also use a pellet stove ( Bosca spirit 500 ) as a supplemental heat source. Weather permitting I will have a new stove delivered/installed on Thursday ( Lopi Republic 1750). I have enough wood pallets (1 more ton coming Wednesday) to last me this winter. But wood stove being new.... cant wait to play with it :).

I ordered a cord of seasoned locust wood ( we will see how seasoned it really will be) and friends offered a bunch ( size not well defined) of seasoned apple wood by this coming weekend.
I'm trying to figure out if the locust comes and is not seasoned, how long do i have to let is season.
Also, if anyone has any special pointers about my new stove, would love to hear those.

I'm trying to figure out if the locust comes and is not seasoned, how long do i have to let is season.
Also, if anyone has any special pointers about my new stove, would love to hear those.

You have to let it sit till it's dry. There is no magic number, just like all other wood.

Get a moisture meter and when the locust comes, split several pieces and see what the moisture content is, that will give you your answer, also having other woods would be most beneficial, what kind of starter are you going to use?

Get a moisture meter and when the locust comes, split several pieces and see what the moisture content is, that will give you your answer, also having other woods would be most beneficial, what kind of starter are you going to use?

Just got a Moisture meter.. Do you split a piece and measure inside ...or just from outside....

Good question about starter :) ....any recommendations?

Greatly appreciate any help.

Measure the inside face of a freshly re-split piece.

Just got a Moisture meter.. Do you split a piece and measure inside ...or just from outside....

Good question about starter :) ....any recommendations?

Greatly appreciate any help.
Yes what BB said, split a split in half and stick the meter in the center of the fresh split side, I like to see 19% but most people here say 25 % is ok. If you need some firestarter quickly, go to your supermarket, go down seasonal aisle, get a box of fatwood from duraflame. Easiest way to use it is to wrap a few pieces in newspaper and then light the newspaper up, it's foolproof, a lot on here really like super cedars, do research and buy what you like.....

Hello everyone! I hope to learn alot from you all ... since im a city dweller turn rural dweller ( 1 year ago).

Anyone have any experience with Lopi Republic 1750? Would love to get some initial pointers, and observations.
I have one coming for installation in 4 days.

Also ... any opinion on locust wood? and how long to season it properly?

Sincerely,
Oski
I have the cousin of the 1750 called the Lopi Endeavor. They are more or less the same. This is a wonderful stove, I am sure you will love it. One of the most important tips is proper thermometer placement. This is assuming you will be using one. For the first couple months, I had my thermometer in the wrong place and it caused me a bit of stress. I was continually thinking that my stove was getting too hot and was in danger of being over-fired. Once I got the correct placement, it has been smooth sailing. You wrote about this in another thread, you can read about it here.

So, to recap, see the photo for proper thermometer placement (notice how it is almost above the door and NOT in the middle of the stovetop):

Enjoy!

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I have the cousin of the 1750 called the Lopi Endeavor. They are more or less the same. This is a wonderful stove, I am sure you will love it. One of the most important tips is proper thermometer placement. This is assuming you will be using one. For the first couple months, I had my thermometer in the wrong place and it caused me a bit of stress. I was continually thinking that my stove was getting too hot and was in danger of being over-fired. Once I got the correct placement, it has been smooth sailing. You wrote about this in another thread, you can read about it here.

So, to recap, see the photo for proper thermometer placement (notice how it is almost above the door and NOT in the middle of the stovetop):

Enjoy!

THANK YOU! Very helpfull. I will post a pic once install is done.

We've heated with one for three seasons now. If you get black glass, try replacing the gasket as specified in the manual NOT how it will come on the stove (start in the corner, not in the middle of the door). We had issues for two seasons, even the dealer replaced it. This season, we replaced it according to the manual. No more black glass (we got black glass no matter how hot the fire or how dry the wood). (the Republic door is different than the Endeavor or Liberty, the handle goes through the gasket channel rather than net to it) We burn mostly pine, never had locust so I can't say much about that. We find it to be an easy to use stove, although we still talk about possibly replacing it at some point with a Blaze King for the burn time. A full load of pine usually nets a 6ish hour burn (and at the end of 6 hours the top temps will be about 250), I imagine a load of hardwood like locust could probably get you the 8-10 hour time it's advertised for. We have no problems getting great secondaries on each load.

Status
Not open for further replies.