Lopi Stove frozen bolts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
I've had two Lopis. A Yankee (not worth fixing after 17 years of hard use) and a Pioneer which is 10 years old and going strong. Both easy to fix and clean and make plenty of heat.

Just want to give fellow Lopi owners a heads up. The bolts tend to freeze and the heads break off. I think it was the exhaust blower on the Yankee that it first happened, and it just happened on the protrusion that the door cover latch grabs onto. I had to call a handy man to extract the embedded bolt fragment. It had frozen because on the inside it sits in the fire box and it got rusted in place. He remarked that the bolts were of low quality and might not have snapped off a head if they were made of hardened steel. I replaced both with hardened steel.

A word to the wise. Replace any bolt that holds something that you might need to replace to be sure you can do so without breaking off the head.

Reactions: Shane1