Lost my Beloved Oggie.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bunch of us know exactly how you feel Steve . . . Buddy may never be the same as Oggie, but he will definitely help you create new memories and a brand new friendship. He truly looks like you found a new best friend.

Reactions: tfdchief
Buddy is so loyal already. When I go to my Den he comes in and lays down and waits for me.

Yeah, you can tell he really hates being there ;). Nice pics....

He truly looks like you found a new best friend
Jake, He truly is already. He will of course never be Oggie. She will live in my hear forever, but he quickly finding a place there too. Talking to a firefighter brings to mind when I became Chief of the department 20 years ago. Some one said to me, "I bet your worried, because it will be really hard for you to fill Chief Dietrich's boots." I responded "no, I am not worried, because I will just be trying to fill my boots".
Buddy doesn't have to fill Oggie's boots, just his own, and I think he is going to do that just fine.;)

tfdchief, I am so glad for your new relationship to begin. When you lose your soulmate, it's hard to go on. But when you're the right guy for a dog, you've got to get back to work making life a better place for everyone, and it's best to start right away. It takes courage to put your shoulder to the wheel and get going again. You have a brand-new individual with you and both of you will learn together.

As someone told me, he hopes to become the person his dog thinks he is.

In Oggie's memory, I'll offer a poem by Rudyard Kipling. Know that you are not alone.

The Power of the Dog
by
Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?​

Buddy has found his spot near the kitchen stove.
image.jpg
But then so has his cousin Lady when she comes to visit.
image.jpg

a real gentleman, giving his spot to a guest:)

Jake, He truly is already. He will of course never be Oggie. She will live in my hear forever, but he quickly finding a place there too. Talking to a firefighter brings to mind when I became Chief of the department 20 years ago. Some one said to me, "I bet your worried, because it will be really hard for you to fill Chief Dietrich's boots." I responded "no, I am not worried, because I will just be trying to fill my boots".
Buddy doesn't have to fill Oggie's boots, just his own, and I think he is going to do that just fine.;)

Sorry to hear about your Oggie - been there a few times. Our Sookie has definitely made this place a "home". Glad to see Buddy's fitting in and helping you move on.

this dog returns to the church where his mistress' funeral was held. does it everyday,
Oh, how sad. As bad as it is for us. It has to be awful for a dog who has no idea what happened except the their best friend is gone.

Reminds me of the movie about Hatchie - incredible loyalty.

Reminds me of the movie about Hatchie - incredible loyalty.
Yes! And they are. I guess that is part of why we love them so much. My Buddy, after only a short few weeks is already so loyal it is amazing. He follows me everywhere and waits for me outside the wood shed when I get wood. He could just wait inside but he would rather come out in the cold and wait in the chair on the porch of the wood shed. Love this guy.
.photo 13.JPG

This thread has gone on for a while, and I hope that I have not over stayed my welcome. But it has been an incredible healing process, and I thank you all! One more time, My Beloved Oggie.
Oggie.JPG
I miss her so much. And can't wait to see her again someday.

You never get over it.....you just learn to live with it. I do believe that when the time comes, we will be reunited with our pets who have been so much a part of our lives.....I know I'll be seeing my buddy Frisco (avatar)

It's hard to be happy & sad at the same time, Steve.

I hope its getting easier, sure looks like it is :)

Reactions: Beer Belly
Nice stax chief and nice to have a guard dog there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.