Lost part on electric log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Went to use my 5 ton electric splitter today and discovered that the control handle lever had been discarded by another member of the family. Where can one find spare parts for these? It's harbor freight, but it is clearly the same as the speeco and probably many others. I wouldn't mind fabricating one if anyone has any tips on improving on the original design. The manual describes it as Control Handle Lever Ø12.5X134. I'm not sure what the numbers mean! And the threads don't seem standard, but I'm not sure about that.

We had our first fire last night and it was nice! It has been cool and wet here for days, and only the wood that is sort of dry is a few boxes from the end of last season that we never moved from under the porch roof, as we have not tarped the stacks yet. I guess I'd better get on the ball and buy the sooteater soon and get the chimney clean. This will be season #2 for us in the house with the stove.

Not that we can see what you need. But it's it a 6-10 inch piece of flat stock with a couple of holes in it at the pivot points?

Not that we can see what you need. But it's it a 6-10 inch piece of flat stock with a couple of holes in it at the pivot points?
upload_2016-10-1_22-9-0.png

It's the lever/handle that engages the pusher plate. Essentially the gas pedal.

I have the same splitter, and busted off my handle accidentally. I still had the stub, so I took it to the hardware store, and fit it into the jig in the aisleway to find the right threads. I don't remember specifically, but it was a common metric size, and coarse threads. Then I just bought a bolt that looked about as long as I wanted it (4-5 inches or so, which would be 100-130 millimeters). So now my control handle is just a bolt, and with a glove on my handle I don't notice the difference and it's worked fine ever since.

Look at the female receiver and measure its diameter, and that should give you a general idea of the metric outer diameter of the bolt that you need.

The manual describes it as Control Handle Lever Ø12.5X134.

That means a diameter of 12.5 millimeters, and a length of 134 millimeters. However, 12.5 mm is not a common OD for metric bolts, but 12mm is. (By the way, 12 mm is about 1/2 inch). So, I'd measure the diameter of the hole in the control valve, to confirm it's about 1/2 inch.

Then, I don't remember what pitch it is (how fine the threads are), but I think it's a coarse thread, so, assuming the hole is about 1/2", I'd just buy a M12-1.75 x 130ish bolt and expect it to fit, and if it doesn't then let us know and I can try to see what threads mine are. (I'm inside and the door is shut for the night).

I have the same splitter, and busted off my handle accidentally. I still had the stub, so I took it to the hardware store, and fit it into the jig in the aisleway to find the right threads. I don't remember specifically, but it was a common metric size, and coarse threads. Then I just bought a bolt that looked about as long as I wanted it (4-5 inches or so, which would be 100-130 millimeters). So now my control handle is just a bolt, and with a glove on my handle I don't notice the difference and it's worked fine ever since.

Look at the female receiver and measure its diameter, and that should give you a general idea of the metric outer diameter of the bolt that you need.

That means a diameter of 12.5 millimeters, and a length of 134 millimeters. However, 12.5 mm is not a common OD for metric bolts, but 12mm is. (By the way, 12 mm is about 1/2 inch). So, I'd measure the diameter of the hole in the control valve, to confirm it's about 1/2 inch.

Then, I don't remember what pitch it is (how fine the threads are), but I think it's a coarse thread, so, assuming the hole is about 1/2", I'd just buy a M12-1.75 x 130ish bolt and expect it to fit, and if it doesn't then let us know and I can try to see what threads mine are. (I'm inside and the door is shut for the night).
I found my tap and die set, and it looks to be 8mm x 1.25 (course threads). Now I'm in business. I'll just figure out what size hole I need to drill and a peice of pipe and get it fixed. As an aside, called the number on the Harbor Freight manual, they passed along the number for Boss industies, and Boss offered to send a replacement for $15, but I think I'll use this as the opportunity to improve on their design and make a longer lever handle with a slight curve in it. Also has me thinking about making a foot control for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.