Lost power at 1am

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry sidecarflip but I disagree with that statement see below
Propane is produced as a by-product of two other processes, natural gas processing and petroleum refining. The processing of natural gas involves removal of butane, propane, and large amounts of ethane from the raw gas, in order to prevent condensation of these volatiles in natural gas pipelines.
Fracking has nothing to do with propane but Fracking has everything to do with natural gas and
oil well drilling
That is true, I guess....lol No matter, the price of energy will increase under the new administration, across the board. Just makes my corn look better all the time... Gonna have to shop for pellets this summer again. Need to keep at least 5 ton on hand.... Just in case.

Reactions: tlc1976
That is true, I guess....lol No matter, the price of energy will increase under the new administration, across the board. Just makes my corn look better all the time... Gonna have to shop for pellets this summer again. Need to keep at least 5 ton on hand.... Just in case.

I just cleared my 2nd stack. 2 more left. I should see about filling that space with 2 more ton sooner than later.

I usually hit the local TSC about August and see what they have out back, left over from the previous winter and buy them after negotiating with the store manager. Don't like keeping them because of the room they don't have but I only take full pallets that are under another pallet. That way the upper pallet is a roof to keep the rain off. So far so good doing that. Last 4 I bought were 200 a ton OTD.

One thing I like about the local TSC and that is, if you have a bad bag (damp crumbly pellets), they exchange if you take them the empty bag, no questions asked. Done that before a few times. Dump the wet obes in the driveway (it's gravel).

I don't know about that actually. Pellet stoves (especially Harmans) seem to be a yuppie thing today...

Reactions: johneh
I usually hit the local TSC about August and see what they have out back, left over from the previous winter and buy them after negotiating with the store manager. Don't like keeping them because of the room they don't have but I only take full pallets that are under another pallet. That way the upper pallet is a roof to keep the rain off. So far so good doing that. Last 4 I bought were 200 a ton OTD.

One thing I like about the local TSC and that is, if you have a bad bag (damp crumbly pellets), they exchange if you take them the empty bag, no questions asked. Done that before a few times. Dump the wet obes in the driveway (it's gravel).

I prefer pallets on top or that have not been stacked. And I check every one before they put it in the trailer. Because of poor fork truck operators who stack a pallet and tear the plastic on the one below. Had that happen before. I can return wet bags or pallets no question but it’s still a big waste of time for me.

I like to get them in summer when the weather is good and they have new stock, and be done. Haven’t seen sales in a couple years.

All my pallets go down the road to my seed farmer friend that I get my corn from. I've always been able to negotiate a price on old stock at the local TSC. Hi-lo drivers at TSC are hell on anything that involves the forks, not just pellets.

I only take full pallets wrapped and shrouded. They go on my gooseneck trailer and I offload them with my forklift and they go in the barn. I don't 'impale' them either. I own a 15,000 pound Hyster\ and I triple stack them in the barn.

Why I don't want the top pallet, the rain sits on the top one. Everything under that one is usually dry.

I should probably buy about 10 or 15 pallets at one time and be done with it. I can haul 20,000 pounds of pellets in one shot and be legal.

I'm a redneck myself.... Especially in the summer when farming.... :p

I'm a redneck myself.... Especially in the summer when farming.... :p
@SidecarFlip you seem to be a wealth of knowledge on here as I've been browsing for months trying to figure out this pellet business. I like the look of the pellet insert over a free standing stove for our new construction as we also have propane for main heat and that is getting expensive. What would you recommend for a new to the pellet world?

I prefer pallets on top or that have not been stacked. And I check every one before they put it in the trailer. Because of poor fork truck operators who stack a pallet and tear the plastic on the one below. Had that happen before. I can return wet bags or pallets no question but it’s still a big waste of time for me.

I like to get them in summer when the weather is good and they have new stock, and be done. Haven’t seen sales in a couple years.
TSC stores around here has a sale every year in August. Usually Somersets for around $200/ton.

Sorry sidecarflip but I disagree with that statement see below
Propane is produced as a by-product of two other processes, natural gas processing and petroleum refining. The processing of natural gas involves removal of butane, propane, and large amounts of ethane from the raw gas, in order to prevent condensation of these volatiles in natural gas pipelines.
Fracking has nothing to do with propane but Fracking has everything to do with natural gas and
oil well drilling
You’re contradicting yourself. The recent, ie last 10 years, low propane prices have entirely been driven by increased NG fracking. Here in PA we were paying $3+ for propane 20 years ago, after our state started fracking propane dropped to $1.50 or so with NG dropping dramatically as well. As have our electric rates, Im currently locked in at .07 for electric. Now cheaper to use than propane, although they expect a 26% electric rate increase soon.
That said the current price increase is strange, Biden has destroyed the NG future mkt and I assume between that and the non stop money printing, and threats of taxation on fossil fuels by state and feds, the mkt is reflecting the new reality.
Btw my epa wood stove is considered green, and is running just fine without ac.

TSC stores around here has a sale every year in August. Usually Somersets for around $200/ton.
Never seen sales at TSC, but Family Farm and Home did bring back the sales this year for August and Black Friday. About $210 a ton, compared to $235 normally. TSC was also at $235. Pro Pellets here, they burn amazing for me.

I see this is a dead thread from February that has been resurrected. @Dergib you might want to start a new thread for your question as people are addressing comments from almost a year ago instead of your question from yesterday :)

*edit: Oh I see you did start a thread, a few minutes before you even posted in this one! At any rate, the user you are trying to contact was last on here November 15th, they might not stop in frequently, you could try to direct message them if you think the specific input would be valuable, they might get an email notification from a direct message, depending on how they have alerts set up. *edit2: user has profile/direct message turned off! ah well, best intentions of mice and men and all that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dergib
.That said the current price increase is strange, Biden has destroyed the NG future mkt and I assume between that and the non stop money printing, and threats of taxation on fossil fuels by state and feds, the mkt is reflecting the new reality.
Natural gas prices are up because far more of it is being liquified and shipped abroad, mostly to Europe, where their major NG supplier -- Putin -- has been limiting supplies to drive the price up, and squelch opposition as he plans to invade Ukraine. Biden controls neither Putin nor the NG market in Europe. He could probably block exports, say on "national security" grounds, which would lower prices here. But it would also make it even more likely that Russia goes ahead with invading Ukraine, at which point we and Europe will likely respond, and Putin will cut NG exports to Europe further, and our allies will complain loudly if we won't export NG to them as they freeze.

The nice thing about burning pellets is it keeps us clear of this fossil fuel mess.

FYI: A typical stove consumes about 80W to 100W when running, after the ignitor is off. The ignitor draws typically 200W to 300W for maybe 5 minutes.