Lost power at 1am

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oregun

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2017
Oregon
Lost power, Stove was cold this morning. Plugged into our camper inverter with 2 deep cycle batteries. Ran ok for 4 hrs and connected generator/charger to batteries.

I want to turn the generator off this evening and let it run on battery power alone. It’s a XXV 2012 model. I switched it to fixed burn rate thinking it would use less power in that mode.
I think it uses 300watts .

Only going to get down to 39F.
Anyone have any idea how long it might run on 2 batteries

Reactions: Ssyko

Saw pictures of the frozen windmills. I laughed. Green energy, what a joke but not on me.

Reactions: woodey and MalcolmH
You living in the area where they are doing the rolling black outs? Sorta think that is BS on the utility company they did not upgrade and keep their infrastructure up to the task for its customers and now the customers are suffering for it...

No, this is Oregon. Ice storm did its thing.
well stove ran from 8pm to 7am on battery power and still running.
Voltage reads 11.8. So I’ll fire up the generator and charge it all day.
Temp in the house was 74F this morning, so success.

Saw pictures of the frozen windmills. I laughed. Green energy, what a joke but not on me.
They have no problem working in my area.. Colder & real winter than Texas ,they only produce 25% of Texas energy, less this time of year. Others are coal, gas, nukes. Their infrastructure was not capable to handle this snow,cold, &storm..

Natural gas prices in texas are all over the place. With spot prices jumping from $3 per MIllion BTUs to as much as $600. Thats about a days heat for the average home, much less at Zero Degrees. Our friends in Texas with wood stoves are looking mighty smart these days.

Don't worry, the 'new administration' will outlaw wood stoves as they aren't 'green'.....lol

Don't worry, the 'new administration' will outlaw wood stoves as they aren't 'green'.....lol
Imaging paying $600 for 1 day (or less)of gas heat. They will have to pry my wood stove from my cold dead hands. :p

Here in Oregon wood stoves are already taboo but pellet stoves are accepted.
I had to scrap my old catalytic wood stove because oregon made them put a metal label on it
to scrap after 10 or 15 yrs of use.

By the way my power was restored after 1.5 days.

I had to scrap my old catalytic wood stove because oregon made them put a metal label on it

So how does that work , a swat team shows up at yur house and demands to see your papers( for your stove)?

So how does that work , a swat team shows up at yur house and demands to see your papers( for your stove)?
That would be BAD for them if that happened. I don't suffer fools lightly.

Propane is already making the climb here. Being cracked from 'Fossil fuel' it is steadily climbing. Was $1.25 last month, now $1.50 and I'm sure it will keep going up. Just like gasoline and NG will. Thanks Biden.

Least my corn is free, thankful for that.

My wife wants to go to Maine to visit friends this summer. Of course we will take the Suburban and of course she will be paying for the gas it uses. :)

Isn't Oregon inhabited by California transplants? That would explain it. Glad I live where I do. They won't come this far east. Least you have juice, for now. Winter is no time to be in the dark or cold.

This transplant is from AZ (44yrs now), but generally the entire west coast is liberal in the cities and the rural areas are conservative.
Depending on your persuasion that could be good or bad.

Me, I'm moldable in public but in private I'm not. I'm a card carrying redneck and proud of it.

My wife wants to go to Maine to visit friends this summer. Of course we will take the Suburban and of course she will be paying for the gas it uses. :)
Put a solar panel or windmill on that Suburban and your good to go.

They have no problem working in my area.. Colder & real winter than Texas ,they only produce 25% of Texas energy, less this time of year. Others are coal, gas, nukes. Their infrastructure was not capable to handle this snow,cold, &storm..

Texas companies that put up windmills went cheap. Most didn't do the winter package, all the windmills around here are spinning just fine in this cold. News last night showed a map of the Artic cold then overlaid a map of the connected SPP Electrical grid in the Midwest. Everyone from Canada to Mexico was having extreme cold temps. Electrical infrastructure was not designed for that scenario.

Personally I am looking forward to future energy generation. At some point the ROI will be such that generating your own power will make economic sense.

When the rolling black out hit us this morning it felt good to have a solid battery power supply to keep the stove going for the hour and half power was off. Worth every penny.

Reactions: sloeffle and gfreek
That would be BAD for them if that happened. I don't suffer fools lightly.

Propane is already making the climb here. Being cracked from 'Fossil fuel' it is steadily climbing. Was $1.25 last month, now $1.50 and I'm sure it will keep going up. Just like gasoline and NG will. Thanks Biden.

Least my corn is free, thankful for that.

propane was $2.50 ish here last summer. I’m not looking forward to that phone call this summer, definitely trying to maximize the heat pump usage when weather is favorable (or preferably running the encore!)

I have Harmon XXV (2014 Made). Had it for 2 years. I also have 2 Batteries thru AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger. I get 12 hours. Both my batteries are 100ah. I run it medium fan speed and manual so it doe not use the Igniter. If it goes longer I have 7kw generator to charge up batteries. Enough propane to run couple of days at least (propane generator). Have yet to use it.

Reactions: NorMi and gfreek
No, this is Oregon. Ice storm did its thing.
well stove ran from 8pm to 7am on battery power and still running.
Voltage reads 11.8. So I’ll fire up the generator and charge it all day.
Temp in the house was 74F this morning, so success.
Curious, whats your setup ?

Sorry sidecarflip but I disagree with that statement see below
Propane is produced as a by-product of two other processes, natural gas processing and petroleum refining. The processing of natural gas involves removal of butane, propane, and large amounts of ethane from the raw gas, in order to prevent condensation of these volatiles in natural gas pipelines.
Fracking has nothing to do with propane but Fracking has everything to do with natural gas and
oil well drilling

Reactions: sloeffle
Curious, whats your setup ?
Xantrex Prowatt SW 600 watt PSW inverter driven by dual 12v RV deep-cycle batteries.
It was able to start the fire ok with the igniter.
I started generator to charge after 11.5hrs so 12hrs seems reasonable.
This is installed in our truck camper 2013 Adventurer 910fbs

That is a nice inverter and setup Oregun. If/when I upgrade that will be something I go with. When I set up mine, money was a bit tight so went cheap.

I run aCraigslist find- APC Smart-UPS 1000, Model: SUA1000 w/2 100 AH deep cycle batteries. Tested it to 6 hours, still had plenty of charge left.