lot of charcoal chunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

Im burning mostly ash,and it seems i m getting a lot of wallnut to egg size coal chunks..i get a hot fire and close the air off,i get good secondary borns,but it seems i have to sture the coals,and they just keep pileing up higher untill i shovel some out...am i burning not long enuff with the air open...loveing the stove tho..i fill at 5;30 am return at 6;30 pm and house is still 72' and a bed of coals...

zim, you do really need to open the draft as the wood gets burned down. Once our stove temperature begins to drop, perhaps by 50 degrees or more, then we open the draft some. As we get down to all coals, we then move the coals to the front as much as possible and open the draft full. We may have to move the coals another time or two to get them to burn way down.

In short, you can not just leave the draft on one setting and forget the stove. All stove require some user input, but certainly not the amount that they used to.

If you are away from home for a long period, I'd suggest using the method whereas you first move as many coals to the front as you possibly can and place a couple of extremely dry small pieces on top of the coals and open the draft fully. This will help to burn up the coals. Once they are down to a manageable level, then you can refill and be happy and cozy warm.

With the house at 72 degrees, you should still be able to open the draft full to get the coals burned down.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Backwoods Savage said:
In short, you can not just leave the draft on one setting and forget the stove. All stove require some user input, but certainly not the amount that they used to.

As I'm observing the operation of my stove I've wondered about playing around with the controls during the process or leaving them be. I assumed that once loaded and dampered down that the manufacturer's burn times were based on the stove running in its own. I'm glad to hear this advice as it will likely increase the practical heating time before adding splits.

I don't find it necessary to fiddle with the draft throughout the life of a fire. After the fresh load of wood has stabilized and it is into the secondary burn there is no need to adjust further. Coals will build up, especially from hard woods like Ash, and do as Backwoods suggests. Put a couple of small dry splits on the coals and open up the air.

well i have started the new burn process Dennis, and it seems to be working fine now,wow lots of good advise here,,thank everone ZZZim

Status
Not open for further replies.