Lots of soot and buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

krushmoto

Jan 31, 2017
Allentown, PA
Purchased a ton of Energex pellets from my pellet guy early/mid Jan and I noticed it's burning very sooty and leaving lots of buildup.
I scraped off buildup after using my stove for approx. 6 mths of use.
Purchased this batch and after a week and half of burning this batch I scraped off about double the amount of buildup on my auger and outlet pipe.
I've also noticed the flame isn't as hot as the first batch.
Any ideas what might be the problem? I performed a complete cleaning including replacing the bearing block and cleaning the combustion blower as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What stove do you own? Pellets can change from batch to batch. Might need to adjust the feed or air to clean it up

What settings are you burning at? When was the last thorough cleaning? You use the leaf blower trick to clean?

Well almost all stoves burn dirtyer at lower heat setting and these new batch of pellets are dirtyer than the first batch your cleaning of the stove has to be more frequent than before. Im thinking most of your issue is the pellets themselves. You could grab a couple bags of another brand and see if that changes anything.

Well almost all stoves burn dirtyer at lower heat setting and these new batch of pellets are dirtyer than the first batch your cleaning of the stove has to be more frequent than before. Im thinking most of your issue is the pellets themselves. You could grab a couple bags of another brand and see if that changes anything.
I think I played with the settings. But don't remember what I changed. Lol
Know how to reset it?

Unplug the stove wait a few seconds then plug back in and within 5 seconds hold down the bottom 3 buttons for 5 seconds then release it should show F5 wait 15 seconds and unplug. Then plug back in and hold down both fan speed arrows for 5 sec then release mode will show in heat setting window, use the arrow to change it to “C” (factory for PDV) wait a few seconds and repeat to make sure mode change stayed at C. Hit start. And stove should be as it was when it was new. Bottom settings are 6-4-1 factory but they are only affect the stove while in heat settings 1 & 2

Reactions: krushmoto
Unplug the stove wait a few seconds then plug back in and within 5 seconds hold down the bottom 3 buttons for 5 seconds then release it should show F5 wait 15 seconds and unplug. Then plug back in and hold down both fan speed arrows for 5 sec then release mode will show in heat setting window, use the arrow to change it to “C” (factory for PDV) wait a few seconds and repeat to make sure mode change stayed at C. Hit start. And stove should be as it was when it was new. Bottom settings are 6-4-1 factory but they are only affect the stove while in heat settings 1 & 2
Thank you sir!