Low-Clearance Wood Stove for Alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherm

Oct 26, 2016
Fish Creek, WI
Hello!

I am looking to install a wood stove into an alcove. The total width between combustibles is 40".
The total floor to "alcove ceiling" height is 87" not including the 9" high hearth.
The alcove is 21" deep with the hearth extending out 39" (and can be expanded).

I am seriously considering a Quadra Fire 3100 Step Top with Legs as this seems to provide the lowest clearance requirements I can find. However, I will need to build air walls for the sides, rear and top to meet clearance requirements.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may negate the air wall requirement?
Thanks!

That's going to be a challenge. The average mid-sized stove width is around 25". That allows just 7.5" clearance on each side. Clearance reduction using wall shielding is only permitted if tested. Otherwise 12" is the minimum. One stove that has tested clearances is the Lopi Endeavor, but the alcove must be made non-combustible with ventilated wall shielding.

Can you expand on "Clearance reduction using wall shielding is only permitted if tested."?
Does this mean that since QuadraFire did not test this unit with an air wall...I cannot use that method to reduce clearances?

I looked at the manual for the Lopi Endeavor and it states 13" clearance on both sides unless the alcove is non-combustible. With the unit being 24" wide that would not fit.

Yes and no. Documentation is the key. If there is ever an issue this is what insurance will fall back on. My understanding is that an NFPA wall shield is only valid for clearance reduction down to 12", unless the stove mfg. has tested and published closer clearances in the manual. However, if the local inspector will allow greater clearance reduction - and sign off on it - then perhaps one could go closer without documentation. Save that inspection sheet if this is the case.

What size space are you trying to heat? Englanders 17vl has some very tight clearances, but is a pretty small heater. Pacific Energy's Vista also fits in a pretty tight spot, if I remember correctly, but is also only 1.4 cuft firebox.

The Vista has 12" side clearance unfortunately. I see that the Osburn 2000 has clearance reduction allowances in it's documentation. If the inspector accepts than it should be ok.

Our home is approximately 1300 sq ft. between two floors.

After speaking with our local chimney sweep/installer, it sounds like the manufacturer should provide clearances to both COMBUSTIBLE and NON-COMBUSTIBLE materials. With proper clearance reduction in place we should be able to follow clearances to NON-COMBUSTIBLES.

The manual for the QuadraFire3100 only specifies "Clearances to Combustibles" on page 11.
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7033_277.pdf
I am going to get in touch with QuadraFire to get a difinitive answer.

So the NFPA provides the "standards".
The manufacturers provide the testing and clearances.

Who makes the ultimate call? Is it the local inspector or insurance company?

Any thoughts on "High Efficiency Fireplaces"? The local guy suggested these as they do not need to be placed in masonry (non-combustible) surrounds as would a "wood burning insert". Off to do some research on those.

It's not just the materials. You could have a noncombustible barrier like cement board on studs and the studs would still be vulnerable. There needs to be an actively ventilating air gap to provide the heat shielding.

Did you take a look at the Lopi Endeavor and Osburn 2000 manuals for comparison?

A zero clearance fireplace is another option.

It's not just the materials. You could have a noncombustible barrier like cement board on studs and the studs would still be vulnerable. There needs to be an actively ventilating air gap to provide the heat shielding.

Yes - I understand that cement board directly over studs would transfer the heat right through. My intention was to build a combustion reduction system / air wall which would be 1/2 cement board with tile, spaced out one inch from the walls on the sides, rear and top.

Realistically, building that would drop my width clearance down even further by around 4 inches. And I cannot imagine 5.5" of clearance would ever suffice.

Did you take a look at the Lopi Endeavor and Osburn 2000 manuals for comparison?

Yes - for the Lopi Endeavor the sidewall to stove clearance is 13" which is too much.
The Osburn 2000 is way too big and has a 17" side clearance. Even the 1600 is too much.

A zero clearance fireplace is another option.
Will look in to that.

Last edited:
Yes - for the Lopi Endeavor the sidewall to stove clearance is 13" which is too much.
The Osburn 2000 is way too big and has a 17" side clearance. Even the 1600 is too much..

Take a look again. In the Endeavor manual look under the alcove section. It is separate from the regular clearances table
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.09.12 AM.png
In the Osburn 2000 manual there is a clearance reduction statement in the documentation based on an NFPA wall shield.

And remember, the clearance is to the nearest combustible, not the the surface of the wall shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.