Low intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jarl

Oct 17, 2017
Virginia
Just bought a house in Va. and it has a nice hearth in the basement. Not knowing anything about stoves before buying this house, I am now trying to find a wood or pellet stove and having a very hard time. I think I’d prefer wood. The problem is that the bottom of the intake for the flue is only about 16” up from the floor(hearth). Looking at most stoves smaller they are mostly in the high 20s. I did see a pellet stove where the exhaust(probably the incorrect term) comes from the bottom. Is my flue too low for a wooden stove?

Thanks in advance.

If the thimble is too low, plug it and cut a new one up at a more reasonable height. You will also need to determine if the chimney is suitable for the wood stove.

Yes, many pellet stoves vent out low, that could be another option.

Inserting a new thimble sounds like a tough job.
Not a big job really, but it could get more complicated if the flue needs a liner or there are combustibles too close to the thimble.