LP gas usage with stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
I am almost done with a new master bedroom suite. I just got the gas turned on today for our new gas stove that is going to heat the new room. What a great feeling! Out all day clearing snow and now sitting by my new gas stove! Anyway, my question is. Never having LP gas before, how much or approx how long does a tank of LP gas last when using a gas stove? I have dual 100 lb tanks and the addition is on the second floor at the top of a staircase, so I am anticipating the stove will not be on excessively as a lot of heat rises up there naturally. I know this is almost impossible for anyone to give a even semi-accurate answer. So lets say if I ran the stove continuousy on medium setting, how long would you guess the gas would last? (not going to run cont, as I hooked it up to a thermostat) I am just trying to "gauge" how fast these things eat up gas. Side note, In case anyone is wondering why I installed a gas stove when the cost of gas has skyrocketed. reason is we have a all electric house that I heat with coal and didnt want to have to put wall to wall baseboard heat around the room and lose my wall space. Any opinions would be great.

Mike in my travels doing inspections and talking to the gas company installers and reps, I will ask that question to get an idea
I will post the answers here or some one who has one feel free to advise. What unit is installed? BTUs?

The BTU rating for your stove provides one answer to your question (sort of). At its highest setting, your stove will burn 31,000 btu's of LP per hour, or about a gallon every three hours. At its lowest setting, 16,000 btu/hr, it will burn a gallon of LP about every six hours.

When it is burning, that is. When operating with a thermostat, the stove will only fire up as needed to maintain the room temperature you preselected. How often it kicks on will depend upon the size of the space to be heated, outdoor temperature, insulation values and the temperature you want to maintain.

The bottom line is, unless you know how many btu/hr it takes to heat the space in question, the only way you're going to be able to determine actual LP usage will be to monitor your consumption over time.

Just to give you some perspective, Michael, you could have a 60K BTU gas log set like I do. In other words, it could be worse! It consumes LP like no tomorrow, with a net loss of heat in the house. All for the sake of aesthetics... Anecdotally, they feel warm within a radius of 12" to the flames! It's a very appealing idea if you're an idiot. I've used them maybe 5 times since I moved in a year ago (prior owners installed them, not me). They are slated for removal when I convert to a pellet insert.

The best way to save big $$$ with propane is to make sure you aren't getting it delivered. By hauling those 100 lb tanks yourself you should save about 40% above delivered cost. I drag mine around using one of those cheap Home depot dollies with a strap to keep it in place. Check out the prices carefully at all the gas stations that refill barbecue bottles till you find the cheapest one. To save even more stock up in the summer. FWIW Lowes sells 100 lb tanks for $80. Law says you have to transport them vertical, a guy who sold propane for many decades once told me " I saw someone do it that way once" so take all that with a grain of salt. I just toss mine in the back seat down low so it can't fly around in the event something unusual happens.

Driz, possibly your advice applies if one is buying in smaller quanitites such for one or two small appliances. It certainly makes NO sense if one is using larger quantities. We use LP for our central furnance, water heating, cooktop, and clothes drying... We expect to burn 2000+ gallons over the heating season. :) Buying in bulk, our price is excellent for our area (IIRC, $1.64 / gal). That said, it still totally sucks to heat with propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.