Lube/grease or what for blower fan rod?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey all!

New to me regency f2400 owner here, with one noisy blower fan. I've cleaned it as best as I could, however am wondering, is there a type of lube I could use on the rod that holds the fans (looks like the metal is a bit rusted, and after cleaning I'll want to lube)?

Thank you in advance.

Lots of people here use copper or nickel anti-sieze for stove parts. If the shaft doesn't get too hot, there may be some better lubricants, but anti-sieze is good for a variety of higher temp applications.

If you already have oxidation problems though, the copper/nickel might make that worse.

I guess I'd burn the stove without the fans and hit the shaft with the IR gun to see how hot it gets, and pick a lube from there.

Hey all!

New to me regency f2400 owner here, with one noisy blower fan. I've cleaned it as best as I could, however am wondering, is there a type of lube I could use on the rod that holds the fans (looks like the metal is a bit rusted, and after cleaning I'll want to lube)?

Thank you in advance.
I havnt found anything that works. Antiseize or gease doesn't get in where you need it and things like wd40 quite it down for a little bit but ultimately make things worse because they drive the grease out of the bearings.

Most are sealed bearings, and the lube will never make it to it's intended location. You can either buy a new blower or, replace the bearings. Find a bearing house and give them the dimensions. Most blowers will use a common size, as it's easier on the manufacturer. If you can find a part number all the better, be prepared for some serious tear down if you go this route.

I have had the best results with 3in1 oil. I usually unhook the whole fan assembly from the metal housing. I then blow it out with air or use a vacuum. Lube both sides of the bearings and clean up with paper towels..

Last edited:
Reactions: saydinli
The solution to noisy/expensive/hard to clean stove fans is a box fan, in my experience.
Box fans work well in many situations. But a fan mounted to the stove blowing heat through convective passages does help to pull off allot more heat.

Hey all!

Thank you in advance.
You can also usually find just the blower motor relatively inexpensively they are usually just off the shelf parts in a stove specific housing.

Box fans work well in many situations. But a fan mounted to the stove blowing heat through convective passages does help to pull off allot more heat.

Fans can easily work too well in a wood stove, cooling off the firebox when you need and want a hot fire. And many people probably wont notice that effect. My supposition is that most stoves are designed to operate properly WITHOUT a fan stripping away additional heat. If that's the case, what does operating a fan do to the combustion process?

Try building a small or medium fire and turning on the fan, if you have one ----does that adversely affect the fire by cooling it off too much? Probably not an issue with a hot fire, but even hot fires may be left to burn down. I know when I'm starting a fire, I want the fire and the stove to get hot ASAP.

Fans can easily work too well in a wood stove, cooling off the firebox when you need and want a hot fire. And many people probably wont notice that effect. My supposition is that most stoves are designed to operate properly WITHOUT a fan stripping away additional heat. If that's the case, what does operating a fan do to the combustion process?

Try building a small or medium fire and turning on the fan, if you have one ----does that adversely affect the fire by cooling it off too much? Probably not an issue with a hot fire, but even hot fires may be left to burn down. I know when I'm starting a fire, I want the fire and the stove to get hot ASAP.
Yes when starting a fire you dont want the fan on. That is why most have auto settings that keep the fan off untill the box heats up. I am curious why you think stoves are not tested with the blowers that are designed for them on? You do realize these are ul listed appliances and all components and accessories need tested right?

I have had the best results with 3in1 oil. I usually unhook the whole fan assembly from the metal housing. I then blow it out with air or use a vacuum. Lube both sides of the bearings and clean up with paper towels..

This is exactly what I do. The most important thing you can do to keep your fan quiet and running year after to year is to CLEAN and LUBE it. Dust collecting on the fan blades can cause the fan to go out of balance, which will wear out the bearing faster.

I pull the fans out every year and blow/vacuum and wipe the blades clean and then a few drops of 3&1 electric motor oil on the shafts and around the bearings, let sit for a while and wipe off any excess oil.