Lucky Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Well, the Hickory wasn't all that lucky, but I was!
4ef26d44b65805bd424315002ff3b1a4d6bb0763.gif

I maintain a property that has 12 acres of woods on it with some trails.
A recent wind storm took down a decent sized standing dead Hickory, and the Hickory took down a couple small Ash trees.
Usually when a tree falls in the woods, I just take the backhoe out and push it aside to maintain the trail, but this time...since I just installed a wood stove...I decided that it sure would be dumb to just pass on it.

I have a couple years worth of Cherry already cut and stacked (20' logs) waiting for me to buck and split, but as most of you know, collecting wood is adictive.
c2b1634c5e514d3b0dbd635fa7776ec7994f960e.gif

The Hickory was about 20" in diameter and about 70-80' tall.
We cut it into 15' or so pieces, loaded it into the dump truck, and dropped it off in my back yard.

6ea16c41555e45310cdf8976ab9fd70cdea1316a.jpg

I spent a little while this afternoon cutting it up.

4d226804ad58e559421321075e640fdd3e525563.jpg

I'm not a great judge of volume, but I'm guessing about a cord?

The lucky part of all this is that I got paid to cut it up and deliver it to my house!
2791664653514d3f0b3a18ec351769ccf3dee3cd.gif

The other lucky part is the moisture content.
As you might guess, the main trunk is still wet, 25-30%, but everything smaller than the main stem at 20" is very dry!
After splitting several pieces open, I'm reading 12-17%.

A good day!

Rob

Getting paid to cut your own fire wood, sounds like double dipping to me, good looking fire wood you have there.

Rob, you could have dropped some of that in my yard. I might even offer you a beer or two. That is some super firewood.

Thanks!

I guess you could call it double dipping...but it gets pretty complicated, like most things in my life...

As part of my job, I have to live in a provided house.
My garage/shop is part of the deal.
The power/heat is included.

My recent stove install was my doing.
I didn't have to or need to, I just wanted to.
We have so much wood going to waste (I collect and burn massive amounts of trees we clear for development) that I chose to get some personal benefit from it all.

So, the boss pays me to clear the trails, haul and dispose of the wood, and I in turn buy and maintain a stove to help lower his heating bill.

We both win.
He saves a little money, and I get to stay nice and warm, instead of just above freezing, and get to enjoy a new hobby/lifestyle!

Dennis,

I'd be happy to share (a little) but delivery could be a problem.
It is VERY nice wood!
I'm burning some now.
It smells great, and it burns hot and slow.

Rob

Rob, would it help if I gave you $5 for gas?

Gary_602z said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Rob, would it help if I gave you $5 for gas?

I'll bid 6 bucks and I am a lot closer! :)

Gary

P.S Get that cherry cut and split!
I will give you 10 bucks and I am only 25 miles away!!!!!!!!

The only thing better than finding Shaaaaag bark around here in CT IS FINDING PIGGGNUT!
Nice score, be glad its deadstanding, that stuff is quite heavy green.

WoodButcher

Pignut is what I have around here. I have about three, thick, solid packed acres of Pignut Hickory and various oaks with a few really big cedars. I never cut anything down for firewood but do lose tops occasionally so end up cutting the whole thing down. I love the hickory but, in my experience, the longer it sits in rounds, the harder it is to split. I've had some sit in rounds for well over a year and then it just laughs at my 8 pound maul. I eventually bash it into submission but it's a whole lot easier to split it when it's freshly bucked.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'll be splitting it soon.
I was ready to bring a load of Cherry over to split, but then found this.
Splitting is my favorite part of getting the wood ready!

I forgot to mention, though I'd guess all you experienced wood burners already know, that the bark from the Shagbark Hickory makes perfect kindling!]

5bf16a475f504d30081950d88ceee91ee8689115.jpg

As for the bidding war...I'm gonna hang onto the Hickory...
However, my employer has been asking me to find a way to recover some of our costs for taking out the Cherry.

I've pondered over cutting, splitting, stacking, and selling it, but it is just too much work for the return, plus, once split it will likely grow legs...

If anyone close to Urbana would like to buy some in 15-20' lengths, I'd consider some offers.
If it has enough value, maybe we can work something out, either money, or maybe someone cuts and splits all for a portion?
It is stacked on concrete, off the ground.
It ranges from 4" to about 12" in diameter.
All clean logs, branches, stumps and tops removed.
You could saw it into rounds where it sits if you wanted.
I'll try to get a picture later.

I have a few cords now, but another 5 or 6 acres left to clear...

Rob

That sounds like a good plan Rob and you should have some takers. I also agree on that kindling idea. It is great.

WOODBUTCHER said:
The only thing better than finding Shaaaaag bark around here in CT IS FINDING PIGGGNUT!
Nice score, be glad its deadstanding, that stuff is quite heavy green.

WoodButcher

A lot of Shag bark by me in Berlin. My buddy has a massive Pignut behind his house in Wethersfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.