Lux thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

G3mike

Nov 28, 2018
Virginia
Looking at getting a lux wifi thermostat for my classic bay insert. Any opinions or thoughts on the lux. All opinions welcome.

I have a Lux Geo-WH hooked up to my Englander pdvc-25. I love it! I recommend it highly!

It's a good looking thermostat, has a phone app, has a web app, uses batteries for wifi functions (works with two wires), allows for scheduling, can be adjusted for a minimum run time, and allows for an adjustable swing.

All that being said, there a few different "presets" that you use to set it up. I have mine set to "boiler" with no fan. I have the swing set to 0.5F with a 5 minute minimum run time and 5 minute minimum off demand/shutdown.

When I'm away, I have it run at 70F. When I am there it runs at 72F. These settings work well with my house layout as the bedrooms swing from 65 to 68 as the heat struggles to get back to them. I do not have the GeoFencing turned on.

I did test them with a multi-meter to ensure that the circuit opens and closes and does in fact work with a millivolt system because Lux does not have instructions on how to set up millivolt with their thermostats in their documentation. Although, the docs state it works.

Finally, my Englander only runs to its max heat setting or idle. It works well with these settings, so it doesn't shut down.

*edit* added doc details.

It will work well with your cb1200

Reactions: G3mike
Is that a basic Lux, or a wifi Lux you are considering? I have Lux thermostats set up on both my stoves, but they are just the basic digital thermostats (no wifi). I have Harmans and have the thermostats set up in different rooms from the stoves because I want those rooms warm enough, so running off the temp probe can be a bit of trial and error. Hooked up to the Lux, the stoves will be triggered to turn on when it is 1* below my setting and shut down when it hits 1* above the setting. There are a few days in the deep of winter when I convert the stoves over to stove temp so that they never shut down, but for the most part, they are run on the stat.

It is a wifi unit. My hours at work at so variable I cant program it so wifi is my best option i believe.

My programming is, if I feel like and remember, I'll turn the thermostat temp down to 67* before I leave for work. Then when I get home, if it feels cold, I'll turn it up a degree (I never have it set for more than 69*). Sometimes I don't start feeling cold for an hour or more after I get home, so the turn up is delayed. I'm actually just compensating for solar gain so that if it gets a touch colder than the setpont when I'm home, it delays to see if the sun creats some warmth. But if there isn't any solar gain, my birds don't get chilled before the heat kicks on.

For those that turn down/up a significant amount, that probably isn't a good option though.

That has been my experience. My 72, might be another person's 70 due to location, airflow, etc.

I've been running my stove because it started getting cold in the Rockies. 69 at night 72 when I'm here. Honestly, that is the most amount of swing my stove can do otherwise it doesn't recover. Going from 69 to 70 takes a bit, but 71 to 72 not so much.

I did a lot of trial and error to figure out what works, where I'm comfortable, amount of blower noise I can tolerate, etc.

Reactions: bogieb