Made a $250.00 dollar mistake.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hedge wood

Feeling the Heat
Mar 1, 2009
Eastern NE
So grain harvest in my area is winding down. Back in June got a flyer from our fuel supplier that they were booking propane for $1.25 a gallon. Wife says how much is in the tank. I said that's a fall project. Since the Garn went down last winter during the coldest part of the winter I had to buy $2.50 a gallon propane to get threw the winter. So I looked the other day and could hold around 250 gallons. Called the supplier and said when in the area fill it up. Didn't ask on the price. Well its went up a dollar a gallon since June so waiting cost my a extra $250 dollars. Hope the Garn holds up this winter so I can save my high priced propane to another year. Hope everyone has there back up fuel bought.

• Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
So grain harvest in my area is winding down. Back in June got a flyer from our fuel supplier that they were booking propane for $1.25 a gallon. Wife says how much is in the tank. I said that's a fall project. Since the Garn went down last winter during the coldest part of the winter I had to buy $2.50 a gallon propane to get threw the winter. So I looked the other day and could hold around 250 gallons. Called the supplier and said when in the area fill it up. Didn't ask on the price. Well its went up a dollar a gallon since June so waiting cost my a extra $250 dollars. Hope the Garn holds up this winter so I can save my high priced propane to another year. Hope everyone has there back up fuel bought.
Our lpg price rose exactly a dollar since summer as well. It’s been very steady for years, not really seasonally fluctuating. This is a big jump.

@hedge wood Ours have done the same, funny thing is almost nobody is drying corn here, its all 14% or less. I hate how that goes though. Remember if the Garn gives you Fits again my offer still stands

We did our yearly topping off of the LP tank on 10/5 @$1.80/gal.

We typically use ~150 gallons a year between the clothes drier, water heater and the little bit the furnace runs during the shoulder seasons or when we are not home. We have a 500 gal tank, but I like to get it topped off every year, just in case.

I just topped off my fuel tank with winter fuel last night.
I burn free diesel in the shoulder seasons.
I get dirty diesel from others that don't want to use it,if it's real bad it goes to my waste oil burner,most is good enough for my oil boiler

@hedge wood Ours have done the same, funny thing is almost nobody is drying corn here, its all 14% or less. I hate how that goes though. Remember if the Garn gives you Fits again my offer still stands
Its been dry around here also so no grain drying. I was surprised to say the least that it had gone up that much in that short of a period of time when hardly any one is using much. Thanks and I will keep the offer in mind. I hope we are fixed up for some time to come with the Garn. Been making domestic since may and now using it a little in the mornings to take the chill off the house.

Reactions: cumminstinkerer
Topped up our 1k LP tank back in June at $1.59 per. We use just a little over 350 gallons a year for hot water, cooking, backup generator and shoulder season heating. I don't want to know what next June is going to bring...

@hedge wood I only shut down for three weeks or maybe 4 this year, was busy with other stuff and didn't need the extra work, I've had the heat on since last Wednesday, Tuesday was still nice here, had a hard frost Friday and Saturday mornings so needed heat for sure. There was a spell in those really hot days that went 12 or 13 days without fire and was still maintaining domestic water off the tank