Made a mistake- help! Q stainless chimney (size+price) Q-Franklin Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffcarpineta

Feb 23, 2009
philadelphia
Dear All....

I am just beginning and may have made a mistake.

I own a brick rowhouse in Philly that I am trying to put a wood stove in.

A guy on craigslist had 22' of Duravent double layer SS chimney for outside the house- I gave him $675 for it yesterday. I just realize that he didn't know what he was talking about when he said it was 8" and I forgot to check. It is 6"

I really wanted a Franklin Stove (there are a few on C-List for 200-350$) and I think they are all? 8" flue

1) Is it a NO to use an adapter to get the 8" stove connected to the 6" SS chimney? Even if cleaning it yearly?

2) Is the Franklin Stove a more hazardous stove in general?

3) If I want to get rid of this 6" pipe I just bought, what is it worth really if I relist it on C-List. (It is 4x 48" sections+Cap+Roof Supports+Through the Wall assembly+4 mounting brackets)?

4) If I were to shift gears and get a vermont castings stove, is it ok to have the doors open while sitting next to it. What VC stove is large but has a 6" flue.?

Thank you much for helping.

Jeff C.

jeff c in phila said:
4) If I were to shift gears and get a vermont castings stove, is it ok to have the doors open while sitting next to it. What VC stove is large but has a 6" flue.?
The Resolute burns nicely with the doors open and a screen in front. I think the (larger) Defiant does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.