Made mistake with secondary air last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I did a cold start on my wood furnace last night, I block the secondary air inlets to prevent down draft through the secondary tubes and out the inlets with refrigerator magnets. I remove them when the chimney heats up and draft is strong usually less than 10 minutes, last nigh t I forgot to remove them. The fire seemed hot and burning well so I went to bed this morning I noticed the house was colder and the blower kicked off very little coals left in the fire box less than usual I had the primary air shut all the way down but its not completely closed. It appeared to me that I burned through the wood faster I guess more draft then normal on primary and made less heat, I would assume more creosote in the chimney. My wood is very dry so hopefully not too bad but I will have to be more careful. After seeing this I would not want to burn on a regular basis with secondary blocked or change to pre EPA stove.